5 Reasons Why You Should Try Reusable Menstrual Pads

By Korrien Hopkins

We at the Women’s Center recently received a very kind donation of reusable menstrual pads. Although I’ve never used them, I was curious to research their benefits.

So here’s what I found:

1. They are environmentally friendly.

The average American woman will use 12,000 to 16,000 disposable pads, tampons, and panty-liners in her lifetime. With the manufacturing, packaging, and transportation this creates a substantial amount of waste of just getting these products from the factory to stores. This creates a lot of waste in our landfills! Sad but true: the most common trash items found on North American beaches are plastic tampon applicators so this is clearly a big issue we’re having.

In today’s current environmental situation using something once is not enough! When you choose to reuse anything from dishes to towels, you’re helping make a cultural shift that values quality over wastefulness.

2. They are healthier than single-use pads.

I read that they can reduce menstrual cramps, definitely a plus for me. They also can reduce infections and skin rashes because they are more breathable than single-use pads that have plastic lining.

The plastics, synthetic fibers, wool pulp, chlorine, synthetic chemicals, artificial fragrances and pesticides, and herbicide ridden cotton used in disposable menstrual products can lead to allergic reactions, hormone disruption, reproductive disorders, and even cancer.

3. You’ll save money.

Cloth pads can last years and assuming most women menstruate for about 40 years, and spends about $8 every other month on single-use pads, it eventually adds up to $1,920 over her lifetime. If she’s using a pack a month, that’s $3,840. Just imagine what you could do with that money!

4. You’ll support small businesses.

From my personal opinion the farther you get from these popular brands the healthier you’ll be.

And why not support small businesses?

5. They are sanitary and wont leak!

This was one of my biggest questions while researching and from what I read, they are very sanitary, easy to clean, and many have a waterproof lining inside to prevent leaking.

If this motivates you to try reusable menstrual pads swing by the Womens Center and we will hook you up! (We do have a limited supply of donations so your promptness is important.)

See you soon!

2 thoughts on “5 Reasons Why You Should Try Reusable Menstrual Pads”