What Issa Rae’s CoverGirl status means to black women

By Korrien Hopkins

Insecure creator and star Issa Rae added a new achievement to her belt of black girl greatness. These last few years have definitely been life-changing for her, from the continuance of her hit show Insecure, to connecting with stars like Oprah, Ava DuVernay, Beyoncé and more. Issa has been gracing red carpets, television, and computer screens. Through all of this success, she paints a beautiful portrait of what it means to accept her awkward black girl magic. She so confidently expresses a different narrative of black sisterhood.

Issa’s come a long way from her award-winning web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, which followed the life of a self-proclaimed awkward black girl named ” J.” Even in this debut project, her characters were definitely relatable and empowering to women. Issa Rae’s work uplifts the beauty of black women, no matter how “awkward” or “insecure” they may be. She represents them with narrative and cinematographic complexity.

Last month, CoverGirl recognized this beauty when it named the writer, actress and singer as its newest celebrity spokesperson.

“I remember being an awkward black girl in high school, reading the pages of my favorite magazines, casually flipping through CoverGirl ads, singing their slogan in my head,” Issa wrote on Instagram.

“In all my awkward, black years I never imagined I’d be a ‪CoverGirl! SO honored & SO excited,” she continued.

Issa joins the astonishing Rihanna, Zendaya, Queen Latifah, and more gorgeous women of color who have collaborated with CoverGirl.

I’m excited to press play on what’s to come from Issa Rae as she continues to redefine beauty, representing women who are often overlooked and underappreciated.