Meet us on the Street

MUTSEnglishBy Rocky Richards

For a long time, I never really even knew what a “catcall” really was. When individuals yelled mean, rude, sexist things to me on the street, I would look away or speed up my pace. I didn’t realize that I  was being harassed. Just like me, many other women might not realize the catcalls they are experiencing are harassment,  To shed some light and to attempt to end street harassment, the UMKC Women’s Center would like for you all to Meet Us on the Street!

Meet Us On The Street is a program created to stop street harassment. Street harassment may include but is not limited to catcalls, sexiest comments, public masturbation, groping, stalking, and assault. Throughout the week of April 13-17th, activists and individuals all over the country will work together to end street harassment. At UMKC, flyers have already been placed around campus and our social media pages are constantly providing information about how community members can help end sexual assault. Last but not least, look out for images chalked on the walkways across campus next week.If you come in contact with one of our chalked statements,please take a picture and post on your social media accounts with the hashtag #EndSHWeek. This way, individuals on campus will get the message-but so will people all over the world.

We look forward to Meeting YOU On The Street!