We Need Feminism to Foster Positive Body Image

By Torshawna Griffin

From UMKC's "Who Needs Feminism?" 2012 Campaign.
From UMKC’s “Who Needs Feminism?” Campaign 2012.

Recently, I read this article about body image; it was called Young, Feminist, and Hungry: An Insider’s Perspective on Body Image. What attracted me to the article was the fact that the author told her testimonial about how she gained a positive body image through becoming a feminist. She gave us insight on how, at a young age, she was teased by someone who was supposed to be her friend. She expressed how this “friend,” who happened to be a boy, “cried for days” after she told him that she liked him. She talked about how having “girl power” made her want to love herself. This empowered me because all women don’t know that we are our best allies when it comes to body image. The slightest joke can cause someone to get really low about her no matter how thick her skin is. I’ve learned that positive body image is the most powerful weapon that any woman can have on her side.

To tell us why YOU need feminism, stop by The Women’s Center (105 Haag Hall) between November 11 and November 15 and join our “Who Needs Feminism?” 2013 Campaign.