Malala Yousafzia: Survivor, Activist, Feminist, and Wonder Woman

By Morgan Paul

We’ve been talking a lot about Wonder Women this year at the Women’s Center, and the media’s been talking a lot about Malala Yousafzia, so what better woman to blog about than sixteen-year-old Malala!

I first heard about her a few nights ago while watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The Daily Show is a show that I frequently watch, but I have never seen Jon Stewart admire anyone the way he did Malala. By seventh grade Malala, was blogging for the BBC about life under Taliban rule. Her home was taken over, her school was closed, and she survived an assassination attempt. Although she has been surrounded by violence most of her life, Malala still promotes peace and believes that education is the key to ending war. It’s terrifying to think about having to take that stand at such a young age, but Malala had support. Her father is an teacher, school owner, and activist as well. He is obviously very proud of her, and has coerced her to be a politician. She says she hopes to found a political party based on education. She has been awarded Pakistan’s first National Youth Peace Prize along with many other nominations and awards. Her book I am Malala is out now, and I strongly urge you to read it. Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, I encourage you to watch her interview with Jon Stewart.