Semester Reflection: Briana

By Briana Ward.

This semester was an amazing experience for me at the Women’s Center. Now it is coming to a close, and I would like to share some standout moments. I learned a lot, and was able to grow from participating in the events. The most special event to me was The Vagina Monologues. Although, I participated in a number of other events, like Operation Beautiful, National Equal Pay Day, Denim Day USA, and Take Back the Night, nothing topped being in the cast of The Vagina Monologues.

IMG_7850In the beginning, I was nervous because I never participated in an event such as that one. I did not know what to expect completely presenting myself to a crowd. Before I walked on to the stage, I was overwhelmed with emotions. I thought the crowd would be able to see it in my face, but they did not. Once I got on stage, my nervousness and emotions disappeared. I realized that I was surrounded by beautiful, wonderful, and warm women who genuinely cared about the empowerment of women and building their strength; making the word more comfortable to say and making VAGINA known and expressed instead of something that is JUST part of a woman’s body. Our vaginas describe US – it is not scary, it is not nasty to talk about, and it is who we are! I walked away with a lot leaving this event! The Vagina Monologues is just one amazing event that we sponsored during the Spring Semester.

156To end the semester off right, Ayo and I were given a chance create our own event. Game Night Getaway was a great success! I am excited about this because throughout the semester I helped with a lot of events but had never planned an event for the Women’s Center. Now I get to show everyone what I have learned and what I am capable of doing.