The Vagina Monologues: A Reflection

By Ayomide Aruwajoye.

This semester is coming to a close, and the Women’s Center has only one more event left (learn more about Game Day Getaway here).

IMG_7850But looking back, my favorite event was The Vagina Monologues. This was the first event I worked since I started at the Woman’s Center, and it was also the most interesting to me. I think this was the most memorable event, too. I had people coming up to me months later asking me if we were hosting another Vagina Monologues event before the end of the year. I was disappointed, too, when I had to say “No” every time.

IMG_7883I think I was more shocked that no matter how much I tried to guess what this event was about, nothing could have prepared me for that night. That night was a combination of inspiring, serious, confusing, exciting, and funny moments. My favorite part was the “Angry Vagina” monologue. She talked about how tampons were uncomfortable, and vaginal examinations were very scary. I liked this one because it related to my life and how I feel; I was the angry vagina woman. I was also surprised to see some of my friends as speakers, too. This also inspired me to audition for The Vagina Monologues next year.

IMG_7613I think everybody took away something from The Vagina Monologues – especially at the end when the cast stood up and said who they were rising for. Some women said things like the reason they rise is because of their mothers, sisters, and victims of sexual assault. I think The Vagina Monologues is inspiring to women because not only can every woman relate to what the cast was saying but it even gave the men that showed up to the event an inside view. Next year I’m looking forward to The Vagina Monologues.

For more information on this and other Violence Prevention & Response Project events, visit our website, or “like” us on Facebook. Learn more about the Women’s Center by visiting our website, “like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.