Take Back the Night: A Reflection

• by

By Katelyn Bidondo.

The Women’s Center hosted our Take Back the Night event on Thursday, April 25, and as a student staff member I was able to work our event. We had many volunteers, students and community members in attendance, which brought an amazing feeling of togetherness to this important event.  During the program we had some wonderful speakers. I already knew a lot about sexual violence, but the speakers really made the issue hit home with me. I realized that sexual violence can happen to anyone: mothers, daughters, sisters, or even a classmate.

IMG_8319 IMG_8323

One of the speakers was a volunteer from MOCSA, the Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault. She is a survivor of sexual violence, who came to share her story and let others know that with time, it does get better. Her story was truly uplifting. Whether a survivor or not, you have to admire her courage and strength to make it through such a difficult situation.  As the event wound down I got the chance to speak to some of the participants of Take Back the Night. I had a conversation that I know I will never forget. The woman shared with me her experience with sexual violence. I couldn’t help but to have such a strong feeling of pain and sadness for her. But, much to my surprise, at the end of her story, she smiled and said, “You can either choose to be a victim or a victor, and I chose to be a victor”. This is what I feel the theme of our event was – raising awareness and helping victims know that you can overcome and eventually become a victor.

For more information on this and other Violence Prevention & Response Project events, visit our website, or “like” us on Facebook. Learn more about the Women’s Center by visiting our website, “like” us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.