By Briana Ward.
Looking for a way to break out of the gloomy weather and enjoy the beautiful spring weather? Below is a list of events around the city to help you shake off the rest of the winter blues while supporting great organizations connected to the Women’s Center.
And don’t forget that tonight the Women’s Center is sponsoring Take Back the Night. Beginning at 6:30 – 7:30 PM on the UMKC Quad, we will have a rally and speak out to unify women, men, and children in awareness of violence against women, children, and families. Pizza will be provided.
Here are some great reasons to get out of the house this weekend:
– Saturday, April 27, 2013, 7:45 – 11am
– Blue Valley NW High School 13260 Switzer rd. Overland Park, KS 66213
– Sponsored by Enterprise Bank & Trust, Timberline Knolls
This walk promotes a healthy view on life, and embracing exactly who you are. If you are not able to walk you may sponsor, fundraise, or support.
– Saturday, April 27, 2013, 8am – 1pm
– Theis Park, 47th & Oak, Kansas City, MO 64110
– Sponsored by the AIDS Service Foundation
This is the 25th annual AIDS Walk Kansas City. There will be new surprises to honor the 25 years of the fight against AIDS. Last year’s walk raised over $481,000!
– Sunday, April 28, 11am – Thursday, May 2, 2013, 11pm
– Brio Italian Restaurant, 502 Nichols Drive, Kansas City, MO 64112
– Sponsored by Hope House
Dine in or carry out, at Brio Italian Restaurant on the Country Club Plaza for a great cause! Dine from 4/28-5/2 and mention Hope House to have 20% of your bill donated to the Hope House.
– Sunday, April 28, 2013, 2 – 5pm
– Kansas City Public Library – Plaza Branch. 4801 Main St. Kansas City, MO.
– An Anonymous Donor, the Friends of the Kansas City Public Library, The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, and the UMKC Women’s Center
Once again, the Kansas City Public Library is presenting its annual admission-free Script-in-Hand series of American stage classics with our friends from the Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre. Post-performance, please join us for a wine and cheese reception.
– Monday, April 29, 2013, 8:30am – 5pm
– Nicklaus Golf Club at LionsGate – 14225 Dearborn St Overland Park, KS
– Kenny Thomas’ Olathe Toyota, Lee Jeans, Clinical Reference Laboratory, First National Bank, Sally Root Bange, Referral Leaders International
This four-person scramble at one of the area’s premier golf clubs offers a great day of golf. Registration Fee: $185 per player, $740 per foursome. Fee includes 18 holes of golf, cart, beverages, snacks, lunch, prizes and gifts. For more information, please contact Megan Zinn-Sanchez via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 913.378.1517.
Students: Are you looking for a way to relieve some stress before finals? How about a Game Day Getaway?! Join us at the Women’s Center on Monday, May 8, 5:30 – 8:00 PM, for an evening of food, games, and stress-free fun.
Looking for more information on these and other Women’s Center programs and events? Find the Women’s Center and the Violence Prevention and Response Project online, “like” us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter!