Meet Joseph Salazar, Our New Social Networking Assistant

I am a third-year Political Science and English Literature student at UMKC and I couldn’t be more excited to be back on campus and working at the Women’s Center. I spent my last semester studying abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia and it feels great to be back! Joseph SalazarI’m looking forward to working at the Women’s Center and making a positive contribution to a great organization on campus. As a student, I’m interested in Gender and Sexuality Studies and recently wrote a paper on the assimilation of queer identity into normative culture. I’m hoping to get my paper published in the near future. I look at working at the Women’s Center as a way to gain experience and insight into the practical side of what I’m interested in. I hope to continue researching Queer Theory and Queer Studies as part of a Ph.D. program after I graduate from UMKC. In my spare time I enjoy going on hikes, attending music festivals, traveling, and visiting museums. My idea of a great afternoon is reading a great book. John Rechy’s City of Night is one of my favorites.