Women, Art & Pie

By Morgan Elyse

No, not real pie like with apples and cinnamon- have you ever heard anyone, in regards to a complete egotist, say that they deserved to eat a little slice of humble pie? Well, I’m not a complete egotist but I sure tasted a piece of it the other day at the Women to Watch artists reception and, frankly, it tasted pretty damn good.

First of all, every single piece of the art that was on display at the Women to Watch exhibit was magnificent. It was so uplifting to see the many wonderful works of women’s art and their respective artists in one place. I was also fortunate enough to have a charming little conversation with Mr. Marcus Cain (http://marcuscain.com/home.html), Executive Director/Curator of the Kansas City Jewish Museum of Contemporary Art in Overland Park and Co-Curator of the Women to Watch Exhibit. He’s doing wonderful things, people.

I had the opportunity of meeting and interviewing some very fascinating and distinguished people at the highly anticipated soiree on Thursday evening. Around one hundred people filled the Dean’s Gallery at the Miller Nichols library to celebrate the work of 25 of the country’s most talented fiber and textile artists. Attendance included the Dean, herself, Bonnie Postlethwaite and Mrs. Jeannette Nichols, the 2009 recipient of the Kansas Citian of the Year Award and wife of the late Mr. Miller Nichols – after whom the UMKC library was named.

With the help of my good friend and fellow film student/fem-activist, Brit Melugin, I filmed a little documentary vignette in which we asked people what they thought about the exhibit and how they felt about gender in-equality in the arts. We received mixed answers. Some people had never thought about the issue, some were very adamant about the need to raise awareness about feminine equity, some held ground in that gender discrimination was a thing of the past, and some spoke out about other types of discrimination such as age and discrimination against artists as a whole.

It’s always quite an eye-opening experience to have the chance to hear the varied opinions of others on a topic. I have to say that I could to relate to everyone’s opinion or have been able to at some point. Before I started working at the Women’s Center I was aware of some women’s issues but not as many and I never really thought about them.  Now, I learn something new every day and my urge to speak out about women’s issues grows just as my feelings toward other types of discrimination our society faces today.

This was a great event and an even better experience. I’m looking forward to the next time I get to do something like this  (and film it!) I’m editing the video now so be on the lookout for a Women to Watch Reception video. It should be posted to the Women’s Center’s Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for reading and, as always…

<3. Every. Body.

Spectometer

Women:  0:3:14
Men:        0:2:46