Women’s Center Spring Semester 2011

By Maritza Gordillo

WC Student Staff

It feels great to say that spring semester is over and summer vacation begins, well, for most of us anyway. It has been four months since I joined the UMKC Women’s Center student staff and it is amazing how time flies by so quickly! I only worked for the Women’s Center for a short period of time, but I feel a tremendous change in different areas of my life. The opinions I had on certain topics were either changed or reinforced. I not only changed my thoughts and ideas, but also gained knowledge, job experience, and even strengthened professional areas where I had weaknesses. This semester was full of wonderful memories because I managed to work, but I still had fun organizing events, meeting different people, and getting educated on a variety of women’s equity topics.

Working with the Women’s Center staff was amazing; not only did I meet new people, but I also made new friends. Every one of us is from different cultural, religious, and educational backgrounds. Our diversity and opinions were reflected in our work performance and we still managed to come together as a team to meet the goals and mission of the Women’s Center. I’m thankful for the opportunity to have been a part of this wonderful organization and hopefully in the future I can continue to contribute in some way. If you would like a volunteer opportunity this summer or are in need of a comfortable spot to hang out, the Women’s Center will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Have a fun and safe summer and best wishes to the Spring 2011 graduates!