Celebrating Women’s History Month

By Dr. Heather Noble

Image c/o UMKC Counseling Center March is Women’s History Month.  I chose to write about this topic for the blog, because quite honestly, I was initially clueless on what I might discuss.  Sure, I’m a woman, and absolutely, I appreciate the many contributions women have made throughout our history.  Nevertheless, I felt at a loss for what may feel most meaningful to reflect upon.  I turned to the internet for inspiration.  Quickly, I found multiple sources of information.  I learned about the origins of Women’s History Month.  This year is noteworthy, as it marks the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day on March 8th.  This day influenced the creation of Women’s History Week which evolved into the full month.  Many people view this as an opportunity to reflect upon women’s achievements.  Additionally, the sharing of women’s stories provides role models.

As I further browsed the internet, I was struck by a suggestion on how Women’s History Month may be honored by reflecting upon a woman who has greatly influenced your life.  Immediately, I knew the woman who I greatly admired as a child and as an adult:  my paternal Grandmother.  Though she passed away nearly ten years ago, my Grandmother’s spirit lives strongly within me. 

From an early age, I was captivated by her.  I felt this woman could do just about anything.  She baked her own bread; she squeezed her own lemonade.  On the farm, she was comfortable in her jeans as she tended to livestock and rode the tractor to tend the fields.  For a night out, she prepared by wearing her hair in rollers.  The outfit was then completed with stockings and small heels.  She liked to play basketball, and could she ever be competitive.  Grandma knew her way around the court with the ball, and there was no leniency just because you were family.  She knitted her own doilies.  She enjoyed crafts; I treasure her paintings of nature scenes and the soft blankets she crocheted.  She told me it was important to know math; she balanced the checkbooks.  She also told me it’s important to love the people in your life.  She treasured her friends, and family consistently came first.  I adored her, not only because she was my Grandmother–but also because she was such a multi-faceted woman who was passionate about living.  I admired the strength of her character and the softness with which she loved me.  I miss her terribly, but her influence remains with me.

My Grandmother is a woman who greatly inspired me.  My personal experience of Women’s History Month is not complete without reflecting upon her, among other women in my life who I have been fortunate to know and consider my role models.  As you honor Women’s History Month, I invite you to consider the women who have helped shape the person you are today.  Let’s celebrate these women for their many contributions!

x-posted from UMKC Counseling Center