Square Butts for Kids?

I don’t know how many of you have seen the new Burger King commercial advertising Spongebob Squarepants kids meals, but after seeing it for the first time the other day, I have to say I’m appalled that Burger King thinks this appropriate marketing – to kids or adults. For a quick view of the whole video, click the link – only part of this is shown on the commercial, but even that part is offensive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nopKDuydRo

I’m not sure what’s worse on this video – the actual video or some of the comments responding that it’s not offensive and they can’t understand why some people think it is.

Not only is it inappropriate, but it’s really sad when the majority of people still don’t see a problem with marketing to kids by sexually objectifying women. Dressing fully grown women in school-girl like attire and short shorts (even if they do have bricks in the back of them) and having them dance around with their butts facing the screen is just one more way we tell boys and girls how women are viewed in our world.

I think I could write forever about how I feel about this, but I hope someone else will share – what are your thoughts on this?

0 thoughts on “Square Butts for Kids?”

1. I think it’s offensive and makes no sense on any level. Kids aren’t likely to know or care about that song, and if you’re trying to sell kids meals to parents sexualizing Spongebob is probably not the way to do it.