If you are a current undergraduate or graduate student who is passionate about violence prevention, we’d love to talk to you! The Violence Prevention and Response Program may have an internship available that will give you valuable hands-on experience, supplement your studies, and put your professional skills to use.
10-15 hours per week with a consistent schedule to be determined with the intern.
Our internships are unpaid positions; however, we are happy to work with your academic department to help you receive academic credit for your internship.
Benefits to the Intern
- Practical application of knowledge and skills learned in the classroom
- Exposure to multiple aspects of operations and a professional environment
- Increased familiarity with issues in violence prevention
- Stronger teamwork, attention to detail, organizational skills, and follow-through on multi-step projects
- When it can be arranged with your college/university, academic credit for your work with us
- Undergraduate or graduate student
- Strong communication skills, evidenced by application materials and interview
- Time and project management
- Proven dependability, efficiency, and team skills
- Professionalism and integrity
- Additional qualifications as indicated in the description for each internship
- Review the descriptions for positions below.
- Email a cover letter, resume, list of two references, and, if requested, a work sample (see individual descriptions for requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship Application” in the subject line.
- When you apply, please be sure to make clear the internship(s) and semester(s) for which you would like to be considered.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Thank you for your interest in supporting the work of the UMKC Violence Prevention & Response Program!
Available Internship Positions
- COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
The communications intern will help to map a communications strategy for VPR, contribute to our email newsletter and blog, and develop and implement communications plans. Prior experience with email design and list management (Exact Target, MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.) preferred. With your application, please send a writing sample of no more than 500 words.
- DEVELOPMENT INTERN
The development intern will help to strategize and execute VPR’s fundraising efforts, including assisting with finding grant opportunities and writing proposals, writing fundraising appeals, seeking event sponsorships, and other fundraising-related activities as needed. Strong writing and organizational skills, combined with a keen attention to detail, are required. With your application, please send a writing sample of no more than 500 words.
- EVENT PLANNING INTERN
VPR hosts and partners to present events throughout the academic year. The events intern will help to coordinate logistics, registration, and execution of VPR events. Previous experience in planning and carrying out events of a variety of sizes and types a plus, but all applicants should be detail-oriented and organized.
- MARKETING & DESIGN INTERN
The marketing intern will evaluate VPR’s current brand identity, assist in developing a marketing strategy for our program, and create materials to share about our work with the general public. Skills in graphic design and experience with Adobe Creative Suite are required for this internship. Applicants should provide a link to a portfolio of their design work.
- SOCIAL MEDIA/WEB INTERN
The social media/web intern will assess our current online presence, assist in developing a social-media and website strategy for the organization, and schedule content to keep our online presence up to date. Applicants should submit creative ideas for three posts that would be well-received on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- RESEARCH INTERN
The research intern will read and summarize current research on issues in violence prevention, violence prevention in higher education, best practices, programming possibilities, and more. With your application, please submit a writing sample that reveals your research abilities, preferably an academic research paper.
Do you have different skills to contribute or want to tailor an internship to your interests? We’re still interested in hearing from you! Send us your ideas for an internship to email@example.com with “Internship Idea” in the subject line.