Get Help: Sexual Assault


    • Go to a safe place.
    • If you want to report the assault, notify the UMKC police or KCPD immediately. Reporting the crime can help you regain a sense of personal power and control and can also help to ensure the safety of other potential victims.
    • Call a friend, a family member, the UMKC Violence Prevention and Response Manager, or someone else you trust and ask her or him to stay with you. Do not shower, bathe, douche, or brush your teeth. Save all of the clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault. Place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag. Do not use plastic bags. Do not disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred. Preserve all physical evidence of the assault.
    • Go to a hospital emergency department or a specialized forensic clinic that provides medical care for sexual assault victims. Those in the UMKC community are encouraged to go to St. Luke’s Hospital or Truman Medical Center for medical care and evidence collection 24 hours a day. Even if you think you don’t have physical injuries, you should still have a medical examination and discuss with a health care provider the risk of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases and the possibility of pregnancy resulting from the sexual assault. You will not be required to report the sexual assault to the police in order to receive medical care.  If you suspect that you may have been given a rape drug, ask the hospital where you receive medical care to take a urine sample. The urine sample should be preserved as evidence. Rape drugs, such as Rohypnol and GHB, are more likely to be detected in urine than in blood.
    • Talk with a counselor who is trained to assist rape victims about the emotional and physical impacts of the assault. Our Violence Prevention and Response Manager is available to provide advocacy and referrals to medical, legal and other support services on-campus and off-campus to students, staff, and faculty. There are also specially trained therapists available at MOCSA.
    • If you currently are not in the Kansas City area, but want information about legal issues, medical care, or other concerns related to the assault, a rape treatment center or a rape hot line can assist you. RAINN is one national victim assistance agency, and they can be contacted by calling 1-800-656-HOPE. RAINN will connect you with a rape crisis center in your area.