Study Tip: Getting Organized!

By , February 15, 2011 7:55 am

[This study tip was provided by guest blogger Jordan Lee, a sophomore in the pre-dental hygiene program. Her organization skills have helped her keep up with a hectic schedule and allowed her to be actively involved on campus.]

As students we often get wrapped up in what seems like an endless list of “To-Do’s” that come from school, our family, our friends, and even ourselves.  Just when we get to put a check mark on that list, something else is added.  For myself, maintaining the slightest bit of organization is what keeps that list from getting too out of control.  The following list is composed of some of the things that I do to keep organized:

• Keep a planner – writing down everything you have to do in the week, helps to assure that you won’t forget anything.
  • Make lists – Lists help organize your thoughts and keeps them from getting too jumbled in your head.
  • Use binders – Use a binder for each class; labeling the binder also helps keep everything organized.
  • Storage – I have a 3-drawer storage container that I keep all of my school stuff in.  I know exactly where to look when I need something for school.
  • Keep your desk clean – If your desk or the area in which you work gets cluttered, so will your ability to stay organized.
  • Calendars – Sometimes having a calendar on your wall helps organize the month’s events versus the week’s events that your planner provides.
  • Relax – When I’m feeling unorganized or overwhelmed with school, I take a few minutes or even an hour to just relax and then I’m able to get back on track.

These are just a few tips that I have to stay organized with school and with life in general.  There’s no better feeling than to be organized.  When I’m organized, I’m not stressed and I can maintain the focus that I need to do well in school.