UNews won second place for best overall newspaper and a total of 14 awards during last week’s Missouri College Media Association (MCMA) awards.
Competing in Division I against the largest schools in Missouri, the newspaper built on last year’s success and earned two additional awards.
The 14 awards and their recipients are:
- First Place, Entertainment Review, Mason Dredge
- Second Place, Best Overall Newspaper, UNews
- Second Place, Website, Henry Gamber, Ciara Pate and Frank Burnside
- Second Place, Investigative Reporting, Henry Gamber
- Second Place, Editorial Writing, Caleb Wilson
- Second Place, News Photography, Gabrial Nell
- Second Place, Video, Roo News Team
- Third Place, Video, Adriana Colina and Jacob Lee
- Third Place, Investigative Reporting, Henry Gamber
- Third Place, Entertainment Review, Luke McKiddy
- Third Place, Feature Writing, Rebekah Shackleford
- Honorable Mention, Editorial Writing, Sam Bellefy
- Honorable Mention, Investigative Reporting, Lukas Kenney and Abbey Higginbotham
- Honorable Mention, Video, Emma Lane
Steve Kraske, the chairman for UNews’ Board of Publishers, said the paper’s performance was a huge success, especially during a global pandemic.
“Our staff showed remarkable perseverance and determination, and I couldn’t be more proud of each of them,” Kraske said. “I also want to tip my hat to the UNews leadership team of editor-in-chief Sam Bellefy, managing editor Caleb Wilson, news editor Henry Gamber and so many others that work week after week to bring this campus vital and important news.”
Kraske also said that the paper will look to build on its success once again next year.
“We’ve now won second place in the Best Overall Newspaper category twice in three years. It’s time for us to knock down the door and win top honors,” Kraske said.