U-News, the independent student newspaper at UMKC, won second place Saturday night in the “Best Overall Newspaper” category at the annual Missouri College Media Association conference in Springfield.
The newspaper competes in Division 1 for large schools.
The paper’s editor-in-chief is senior Sam Danley.
The newspaper also won five other awards. They were:
- First Place, Feature Writing, Samantha Anthony and Caroline Turner.
- Second Place, Editorial Writing, Samantha Anthony.
- Second Place, Investigative Reporting, Kara Lewis, Emily Park, Jessica Canaday and Danley.
- Third Place, Editorial/Op-Ed Page, Lydia Fultz, Emily Park and Danley.
- Honorable Mention, Video, U News Staff.
In related news, The U-News Board of Publishers is proud to announce the selection of Lucas Cuni-Mertz as the paper’s next editor-in-chief.
Cuni-Mertz will oversee the newspaper for the 2019-2020 academic year. He follows Danley, who served as editor-in-chief for two years. Danley graduates in May.
Cuni-Mertz will be a junior in the fall and is a political science and communication studies major. He has worked as managing editor, news editor and staff writer.
“We couldn’t be more pleased that Lucas has agreed to step up to the challenge of overseeing our award-winning newspaper,” said Steve Kraske, chairman of the U-News Board of Publishers. “A continuing push into the digital sphere will be one of his chief tasks, and we believe he has the right stuff to take a newspaper already ranked as one of the state’s best to the next level.”