Friday, January 28, 2022
Powered byspot_img

Lady Roos suffer first Summit loss

Meagan Malloy steals the ball trying to continue the winning streak for the Roos.
Meagan Malloy steals the ball trying to continue the winning streak for the Roos.

The women’s soccer team defended its unbeaten Summit League Conference record last week with a grueling, double-overtime tie against North Dakota State. The Roos (7-5-4) (5-0-1 in Summit League play), tied 1-1 with the Bison (13-2-2) (6-0-1 in Summit League play) in a tense affair under the lights at Durwood Soccer Stadium on Oct. 21.

The Roos had two excellent opportunities to take the lead early in the first half but couldn’t convert on either attempt. One of these chances fell to sophomore forward Taylor Bare, second overall in the goal-scoring standings this season with seven strikes. She had a rare miss. In the second half, the Roos struck late in the game when junior defender Meagan Malloy smashed home her first goal of the season off an assist from freshman Sarah Todd. This put the Roos ahead 1-0 in the 83rd minute.

In response, the Bison caught a lucky break, scoring a goal just two minutes later when a loose ball dropped deep in Roo territory. Bison forward Katie Tallas gained control and squeezed a shot just past Roo keeper Jamie Finnell. Heading into overtime, the Roos held the advantage since they already recorded two wins in extra periods this season, while the Bison only secured a previous tie. Both teams were determined not to give up the game winning goal. The first overtime ended in a 1-1 tie. In the second overtime period, neither team scored a goal. Despite giving up a goal, Finnell was outstanding, only allowing one point and producing six crucial saves throughout the game. The Roos now sit in 3rd position in the Summit League standings, continuing their undefeated run in Summit League play after this well earned 1-1 tie.

The women’s soccer team’s unbeaten Summit League Conference streak came to a halt in a 1-0 defeat to leaders South Dakota State at Durwood Soccer Stadium on Oct. 23. The Roos battled hard with some excellent defensive displays from centre-back Mackenzie Cooper and Jami Finnell. With the score tied at 0-0 for 85 minutes of the contest, the home side always looked to threaten through winger Zaina Mayer and leading goal-scorer Taylor Bare. The Jackrabbits finally broke the deadlock in the dying minute of the game, with forward Kayla Braffet scoring from six yards out.

The defeat leaves the Roos in third position in the Conference but very much on course for their first Summit League Championship appearance in the program’s history. They meet Southern Utah in Cedar City, Utah. on Oct. 29 to round out the regular season.

The Roos will now travel to face Oral Roberts in Tulsa, Okla. On Thursday Oct. 27 as they play South Dakota State and North Dakota State for the top position in the conference.

Must Read

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here