The University of Missouri-Kansas City Department of Architecture, Planning + Design recently received an Outstanding Student Project award from the Missouri Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA Missouri). The purpose of the APA Missouri awards is to recognize outstanding work conducted in the field of planning throughout the state of Missouri.
Other award winners include:
- Outstanding Plan: Wellston First Choice Neighborhoods Transformation Plan — H3 Studio, Inc. & Development Strategies
- Outstanding Tool: Midtown / Plaza Area Plan Bowl Concept — City of Kansas City, Missouri & Vireo
- Outstanding Project: Moving Monett Forward: Long-Range Transportation Improvement Plan — City of Monett, Missouri, TranSystems & MoDOT
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Professional Planner: Diane May, AICP, Missouri State University/Southwest Missouri Council of Governments (retired)
- Dwight F. Davis Award for a Citizen Planner: Phyllis Ferguson, Springfield City Councilmember
Outstanding Student Project: #UMKC Spaces Student Exploration of Places
At the invitation of the UMKC Trustees, students from UMKC’s Urban Planning + Design conducted an assessment of the urban design of UMKC’s Volker Campus. The studio examined: the human experience on campus, walk and bike circulation, campus monuments, and campus gateways. Students and the University promoted an Instagram photo and hashtag campaign #UMKCspaces to collect images of great spaces on campus, which were geocoded and mapped. Students identified 5 planning and urban design opportunities that show how the Campus might better meet the needs of students: Activate Troost, Intensify Cherry and 51st Street Node, Prioritize Public Streets, Deploy Modern and Functional Signage, and Rethink Surface Parking.