Interim and Search Committee Named
A national search is underway for the UMKC Vice Chancellor of Research, and Chancellor Mauli Agrawal has appointed Mark Nichols, Ph.D., to serve as interim for the position starting January 15.
In 2016, Nichols joined UMKC and has served as associate dean for research at the School of Nursing and Health Studies and interim chair of biomedical and health informatics at the School of Medicine. He came to UMKC from the University of Pittsburgh, where he served as a scientist administrator for research development in the senior vice chancellor’s office of research. He served all six health-sciences schools at Pittsburgh with the objective of assisting other investigators in their quest to obtain extramural research funding. His work resulted in 77 grants funded for more than $121 million from 2010 to 2016.
“UMKC is the only public research university in greater Kansas City, and works in partnership with the community to solve its greatest challenges through research-infused learning, service and discovery activities,” Agrawal said. “This person will lead the way for UMKC to help us accomplish our aggressive research goals in biomedical sciences, technology, social sciences and the humanities.”
The new UMKC strategic plan includes a goal to double annual research grants from $29.2 million in 2018 to $60 million by 2028, with a 50 percent increase by 2023.
Agrawal hopes to fill the Vice Chancellor of Research position by May. The following are members of the search committee:
- Mark Johnson, professor and chair of Oral and Craniofacial Sciences at the School of Dentistry and Faculty Senate budget committee member, will serve as the chair of the search committee
- Tony Caruso, associate vice chancellor for research and curators’ distinguished professor in physics at the College of Arts and Sciences and School of Computing and Engineering
- Viviana Grieco, history associate professor at the College of Arts and Sciences, Faculty Senate executive committee, research advisory committee
- Sebastian Karuppan, graduate student at the School of Biological Sciences
- Jenny Lundgren, dean of the School of Graduate Studies
- Russ Melchert, dean of the School of Pharmacy
- Maria Meyers, vice provost of economic development
- Paula Nichols, professor, department chair of Biomedical Sciences, associate dean of research at the School of Medicine
- Wayne Vaught, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Sandy Wilson, finance and accounting manager in the Office of Research Services
Lawrence Dreyfus, who previously served in the job, started a new position earlier this month as associate vice provost of faculty development and research. In this role, Dreyfus will develop professional development programming and opportunities for faculty, with the goal to promoting increased research productivity.