Click on the applicable link below to learn more about UMKC’s policies and guidelines.
Discrimination and Harassment (link) [Includes Sexual Misconduct]
Free Expression (link)
Consensual Romantic Relationships (link)
Standards of Faculty Conduct (link)
Student Standard of Conduct (link)
Discrimination and Harassment
Both University policy and applicable state and federal laws prohibit all students, employees, volunteers, and visitors at the University from engaging in discrimination or harassment on the basis of any protected identity characteristic, including race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. In addition, University policy and the law prohibit sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking on the basis of sex, dating violence, and domestic violence.
Related University policy applies to any phase of UMKC’s employment process, any phase of UMKC’s admissions and its financial aid programs, and all other aspects of UMKC’s educational programs or activities. Additionally, University policy applies to allegations of prohibited misconduct occurring in other settings, including off-campus, if there are effects of the conduct that interfere with or limit any person’s ability to participate in or benefit from the University’s educational programs, activities or employment.
Defining Prohibited Conduct
To review the policy definitions of each form of prohibited conduct below, visit Definitions (link).
- Sexual Harassment under Title IX
- Sexual Exploitation as Sexual Harassment
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Coercion as Sexual Assault
- Incapacitated Sexual Contact
- Dating Violence/Domestic Violence
- Discrimination on the Basis of Protected Identity
- Harassment on the Basis of Protected Identity
University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations Chapter 600 (link) – Applicable to Discrimination and Harassment Occurring On or After 8/14/2020
- 600.010 Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Policy [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- 600.020 Sexual Harassment under Title IX [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- 600.030 Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Sexual Harassment under Title IX [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- 600.040 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination and Harassment against a Faculty Member or Student or Student Organization [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- 600.050 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination and Harassment against a Staff Member or the University of Missouri [PDF Link] [Word Link]
University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations Chapter 600 (link) – Applicable to Discrimination and Harassment Occurring Before 8/14/2020
- CRR 600.010: Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity Policy [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- CRR 600.020: Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct in Education/Employment Policy [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- CRR 600.030: Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Harassment, Sexual Misconduct and other Forms of Discrimination against a Student or Student Organization [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- CRR 600.040: Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct against a Faculty Member [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- CRR 600.050: Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct against a Staff Member [PDF Link] [Word Link]
- CRR 600.060: Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination and Harassment against the University of Missouri [PDF Link] [Word Link]
Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education
Missouri Commission on Human Rights (State)
- Information & Resources (link)
- Filing a Complaint with MCHR (link) – Employment/Housing/Public Accommodations
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (Federal)
UMKC recognizes that it is vitally important to foster and maintain an educational environment that promotes free discussion, inquiry, and expression by students and employees, in the context of the classroom and beyond, without fear that their exercise of such rights will have negative repercussions in areas over which the University has responsibility.
Guiding Principles for Free Expression
UMKC has established Guiding Principles for Free Expression (link) to provide advice to University offices and officials responsible for implementing policies relating to free expression at UMKC, and for evaluating proposed or actual behaviors that occur in connection with events or activities within the scope of these policies. These Principles are also intended to assist members of the University community in understanding legal principles relevant to the exercise of the rights of free expression, free speech, assembly, and protest on the campus of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations – Policies Related to Free Expression
- Students: 200.015 Academic Inquiry, Course Discussion and Privacy (link)
- Faculty: 310.010 Academic Freedom and Economic Security of Academic Staff (link)
- 330.020 Civic Responsibility (link)
- 330.050 Political Activities (link)
For more information on free expression at UMKC or to report a possible violation of University policy, visit Free Expression (link).
Consensual Romantic Relationships at UMKC
UMKC has established a policy on consensual romantic relationships among students and employees. To protect the integrity of the University academic and work environment, consensual romantic relationships between members of the University community are prohibited when one participant has direct evaluative or supervisory authority over the other because such relationships create an inherent conflict of interest, and may result in favoritism or exploitation.
University of Missouri Collected Rules and Regulations – Policy on Consensual Romantic Relationships