Student Conduct FAQ

Once a student has become involved in a student conduct situation, they may have questions about what this process looks like. We have answered some of the frequently asked questions about this process for students below.

I have been contacted by the Director of Student Conduct and Civility and I am not sure why?

If you are contacted by the Director of Student Conduct and Civility, a report has been received about an incident and you may have been listed within the report as someone having knowledge of the matter.  Read More

Generally, you are being requested to meet with the Director of Student Conduct and Civility (or designee).  The meeting allows a student to learn of what incident has been reported and provide knowledge of said incident.  You are given the opportunity to present your version of the reported incident.

What happens during the meeting?

For all parties (complainant, accused, witnesses), you will be able to discuss your version of the events in question. You may have a person of your choosing advise you during the meeting, as long as you have provided a signed release of information form. Read More

At your meeting, the investigator(s) will explain your rights and give you the opportunity to tell your story. After the meeting, the investigator(s) will make an informal disposition to determine a finding of facts and responsibility based on a preponderance of the evidence.

For violations of the Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity Policy, both the accused and the complainant will receive a written notice at least seven (7) days prior to the resolution process that an investigation will take place. When an investigator is ready to present their findings, each party will receive a three (3) day notice so they have an opportunity to select a formal hearing. If both parties agree to allow the investigator to make a decision, then after the three days the investigator will inform them of the results. In most instances, no action by the student indicates agreement with the decision of the appropriate administrative officer.

Do I need to bring anything to the meeting?

No. This is an administrative process to determine your responsibilities related to the UMKC Student Standard of Conduct Read More

These meetings are informal but designed to determine specific facts of what happened. You may bring an adviser of your choosing with you and you will have the opportunity to provide the names of any witnesses, who will have a separate meeting regarding the incident.

If a student decides they want an advisor, the student must provide a signed release of information form. Any person can serve as an advisor; this could include parents, faculty, attorneys, or friends. University hearings are not court proceedings. The person selected as an adviser may:

  • Advise the student on how to prepare for their case
  • Accompany the accused student to all conduct hearings and meetings
  • Advise the accused student in preparation and presentation of any appeal
  • Question witnesses and evidence, with permission from Hearing Panel Chair

The adviser may not:

  • Present the case for the accused
  • Disrupt or delay the proceedings

Advisers not complying with university hearing procedures may be removed from the meeting or conduct proceedings.

What if I fail to schedule a meeting or show up for my meeting?

Electing not to schedule a requested meeting may result in a violation of “Failure to comply with directions of University officials acting in the performance of their duties.”  You also forfeit your opportunity to have your voice heard and the University may decide a case in your absence, nullifying your opportunity to appeal the outcome.  In addition, a Student Services hold may be placed on your Pathway account, which can prevent you from enrolling in classes or obtaining transcripts.

If you are unable to attend your meeting, it is your responsibility to contact the requesting party before your scheduled appointment time.

Why do I have a Student Services hold on my account?

If you receive a student conduct letter and fail to meet with a student conduct officer or are found in noncompliance with the directions of the student conduct officer, a Student Services hold may be placed on your Pathway account, which can prevent you from enrolling in classes or obtaining transcripts.

What if I didn’t know about the rule that I am accused of violating?

Ignorance of the University of Missouri Student Standard of Conduct is not an acceptable excuse for violating it. Every student is responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of the university.

I’ve already been arrested and have a court date. Isn’t this double jeopardy?

No. A student conduct hearing is not connected in any way to the criminal justice system. There are instances where criminal violations are also conduct violations.  The student conduct process is not adversarial and is educational in nature.

I was arrested off campus. Why is the University concerned about my conduct off campus?

Every student at UMKC is expected to abide by all university rules and regulations and to uphold the University of Missouri Student Standard of Conduct. As a student of the university, your conduct reflects on the university whether you are on campus or off. The foundation of our identity as a community is our core values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence. The university strives to make the campus community a place of study, work and residence where people are treated, and treat one another, with respect and courtesy. The university views the student conduct process as a learning experience that can result in growth and personal understanding of one’s responsibilities and privileges within both the university community and the greater community.

Are you going to tell my parents?

The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) prohibits educational institutions from disclosing information from a student’s educational record (which would include disciplinary files) to any third party, including parents, without the student’s consent. The exceptions to this rule include the UM System policy for parental notification and other emergencies. 

What is Parental Notification?

Students who are under the age of 21, unmarried and financially dependent on their parent(s) may be subject to the Parental Notification exception to FERPA if they are found in violation of the Student Standard of Conduct as it relates to alcohol and drugs. This exception permits the university to notify parents of a student found to be in violation of university policies involving the use of alcohol or controlled substances. The letter will include a statement indicating that the violation has occurred and that unless the student signs a release, any further information must be disclosed by the student Read More

It is the belief of the university that students benefit from discussion with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) about the effects of alcohol or use of controlled substances including the effect of the use of alcohol or controlled substances on the educational experience.

What if I want to appeal student conduct decisions?

A student may chose to appeal the findings of the informal disposition.  The Student Conduct Hearing is the formal disposition to decide cases in accordance with the University of Missouri Rules of Procedures in Student Conduct Matters. The Student Conduct Committee hears the case and makes a decision based on the evidence presented.

What are typical sanctions?

Each case is individual, and there are no “typical sanctions” for a specific violation. The Sanctions page on our website has a complete list.

How long does this stay on my record?

The university maintains Student Conduct records for conduct violations for seven (7) years from the completed sanction unless the student is expelled, suspended, or dismissed. In those cases, the records may be held permanently.

I am applying for a job or a graduate/professional school, and the application asks whether I have ever been subject to disciplinary action. What should I say? What if my file was expunged or I was found not responsible? What should I say then?

The best policy is to be honest on any application. Most applications will specify that they want to know about any disciplinary actions, even those where your file has been expunged or you have been found not responsible. Failure to disclose this information is often viewed as much worse than having been found responsible for a code of conduct violation.

How do I file a complaint against someone for violating the student conduct code?

If you have been harassed or assaulted or had another experience with a student of UMKC that you feel violates the Student Conduct Code or other university rule or regulation, you can file a complaint with the Director of Student Conduct and Civility or the Title IX Coordinator.