We’re Here to Help: Sandy Wilson

Title

Finance and Accounting Manager

My focus

My area of focus is finance and administration.  As part of the fiscal leadership team, I help project, prepare, and monitor our operating budget, process accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions, complete account reconciliations and other finance and administrative tasks.  I also hold the role of HR Facilitator, the liaison between the UMKC-HR Office and the Office of Research and Development Staff.  I provide communications and assistance to the ORS staff in areas of benefits, payroll & records, training, recruitment, and employee relations.

Where I came from

After graduating from Emporia State University with a Business Administration Degree, I worked several years at KU Medical Center in the Accounts Payable and the Grant Accounting Offices. Upon moving to California, I worked for several years at California State University-Los Angeles in the General Accounting Office until my family and I relocated back to the Kansas City Metropolitan area where I began working in the Kansas City, Missouri School District in the Early Childhood Program.   After leaving the KCMO School District, I came to UMKC and have worked in the Office of Research Services for twelve years.

What I love about working in Research Administration

I work with a wonderful group of Research Administrators in the Office of Research and Economic Development who are dedicated and committed to a job well done.  It is rewarding to work with a group of people who go up and beyond to assist others in making their research dreams come to fruition.   I enjoy hearing about the array of interesting and potentially life, health, and technology, changing research that’s being conducted at UMKC.  I also enjoy having the opportunity to interact and supervise student employees.  We’ve had some great student employees working in our office and it is always a pleasure to see them develop, mature, and graduate from UMKC.

Some favorite things

My favorite things are my family (smile).  My husband, Vincent, and I have been married for 29 years and we have three children. Two daughters and a son. Our oldest daughter, Alexandria, is a graduate of UM-Columbia School of Law; she will be getting married this July.  Our second daughter, Victoria, is a junior at the University Central Missouri, majoring in Criminal Justice.  Our youngest, Vincent Charles, is a freshman in high school, who enjoys playing basketball and is currently on the tennis team at his high school. In my free time, I enjoy reading, going on long walks, attending worship services at my church, teaching primary Sunday school, and participating in volunteer opportunities that focus on children, women and the homeless.