What is the UMKC One Card?

The One Card is your official identification card. The One Card is only valid to enrolled students, employees of UMKC or affiliates.

Who is eligible for a One Card?

Students must be enrolled in order to receive a One Card. In the case of UMKC employees, employee data must be entered into the University personnel, payroll database and sent to the One Card office before a One Card will be issued. The One Card will not be issued to employees prior to their payroll appointment date. Exceptions to this policy may be made for faculty and affiliates.

What documents are needed for a One Card to be issued?

A valid, government-issued photo ID must be shown before a One Card will be issued. One of the following will be acceptable (no exceptions): driver’s license, passport, military or State ID. Your official name, as it appears in the university databases, will print on your card. The name on the photo ID you present to the One Card Office for verification must match this information.

One Card Office location.

Visit the card office to receive your One Card.  We are located in the Student Union room 327.

Some other useful information about the One Card:

  • Each student, employee and affiliate is entitled to carry only one active card.
  • Students must be enrolled in order to receive a One Card.
  • Benefit eligible employees who are taking classes do not receive a student One Card but will receive an employee One Card.
  • Individuals appointed as graduate research assistants (GRA) and graduate teaching assistants (GTA) are issued a student One Card.
  • Your social security number (SSN) is not entered into the card production system or located on the card.
  • No profiles, hats, headbands, sunglasses etc., will be allowed when your photograph is taken for the One Card.
  • The One Card is the property of UMKC and is non-transferable. It must be carried at all times and presented and/or surrendered to university officials upon request. Unauthorized use warrants confiscation and/or disciplinary action.

What should I do if my One Card is lost or stolen?

If your One Card is lost or stolen, go to the Get Funds website to report your card lost or stolen. You must register on Get Funds before you can use the web site.

You may also contact the One Card office to have it deactivated. If you should find your card at a later date, please note that only your newest card will be active.

If your UMKC One Card has been activated to act as your U.S. Bank ATM and PIN-based debit card, notify U.S. Bank immediately at 800-US BANKS (872-2657).