2020 Adelante Latino Student Leadership Summit
The UMKC Adelante Latino Student Leadership Summit will take place on March 5-6, 2020 for Latino students from Kansas City and the Midwest region! Through engaging, interactive workshops, college students explore current social justice issues impacting Latino families and gain leadership skills to effect change on campus and in the community. In the past, Academic and professional development sessions led by TED Speaker Dr. Julie Connor; Business Entrepreneur Brenda Zaragoza; Executive Director of El Centro, Inc. Irene Caudillo; Immigration Attorney Raymond A. Rico, Manny Abarca, Deputy District Director, US House of Representatives 5th District and more, Adelante has given students an outlook on their career paths and a glimpse on how to gain a competitive edge.
In previous years students have participated in the following:
- Understanding the latest in the socio-political landscape and implications for Latino students from leading educational civil rights litigator and advocate, Juan Cartagena.
- Acquired strategies for taking your career and life “to the next level” from the highly requested, Maximo Anguiano
- Master the skill of resiliency during obstacles with the mindset of “Si Se Puede” from community advocate, Erik Erazo
- Speed Networking with local Latino professionals and employers from the Kansas City region
- Develop action plans for improving skills and gaining a competitive edge in the ares of Leadership, Social Justice, Professional Development, and Academic Success
- Be part of setting the agenda for the 2020 Latino Student Leadership Conference designed to equip students with the skills to be effective and impact leaders on their campuses and in their communities
- Social and Baile with music from Dj Luigi Franko
We want to give a huge shout-out to all 260 students who took their time to come together as a community and engage, network, and learn from Latino professionals on “How to Become Leaders,” in today’s society. We also want to thank our UMKC co-sponsors, the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Division of Diversity and Inclusion, Association of Latin American Students and the Latinx and Latin American Studies Program. Last but certainly not least, we want to acknowledge our Community co-sponsors, the Greater Kansas City Hispanic Development Fund, represented by John Kearney as well as Mr. Ramon Murguia and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation Trustee Donor-Advised Fund for their financial support! Truly, we could not have done it without your support.
On behalf of UMKC, the Association of Latin American Students (ALAS), and the Greater Kansas City Hispanic Development Fund, we want to thank you all for coming and participating in this Summit. We hope you had fun and continue to feel connected, inspired, informed and empowered!
For more photos from the event, please check out and ‘Like’ our official Facebook page.
To Register click Here: