History, Mission & Goals
The mission of the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs is to aid in retention and the overall student experience by creating opportunities for inclusive engagement, cultivating academic success, and encouraging the value of diversity.
Our office’s efforts support the UMKC Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management’s mission to provide leadership in attracting and developing a diverse student population through a vibrant and engaging collegiate experience that supports students in defining and achieving their personal and educational goals. We support these efforts by:
- Maintaining an open-door policy for all students
- Providing informal advising and support to students and connecting them to campus resources
- Providing programs and services throughout the academic year increase educational and cultural awareness
- Providing support, advising and leadership development the Multicultural Student Organization Council and interested students
- Collaborating with UMKC constituents and community organizations to further to provide programs and resources that meet the needs of students of color at UMKC
- Provide programming and services at the African-American History and Culture House that enhance and enrich the general understanding of and participation in African-American intellectual culture.
The MSA Staff
Keichanda Dees-Burnett, Director
Kellee Harris, Assistant Director
Iván Ramírez, Student Services Coordinator
Phyllis LaMaster, Administrative Assistant