We are the premier school-to-career resource for selected Kansas City metro high school students seeking careers in the health professions. Since its recent inception in Fall 2015, KC HealthTracks has reached out to more than seven high schools with 40 students marked as “promising students” that will succeed with the proper resources in their choice of a health professions career path. We have the right resources to help them overcome barriers that may prevent them from being successful.
KC HealthTracks is a unique collaboration of community, post-secondary institutions and selected high schools . Through these partnerships the goal is to execute a strategic plan that will impact a minimum of 200 high school students by equipping them with state of the art training, personal guidance, academia support and materials to help them enter the medical workforce.
This initiative was launched by a five year grant from the Office of Minority Health within the US Department of Health & Human Services.
Significant components of the student experience include:
- Leadership Development
- Intrusive Advising
- Access to Missouri Connections for education planning
- One-on-one meetings with the KC HealthTracks coordinator and other grant staff
- Assignment of an individual faculty mentor from either Metropolitan Community College – Penn Valley’s Health Science Institute or UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies
- Health Professions Training Lab Experiences
- Summer Health Professions Education and Training Lab Experiences