Welcome Exchange Students!
International Academic Programs (IAP) welcomes you to UMKC and Kansas City. IAP works with incoming students studying at UMKC for a semester or year from our current Exchange Partner Universities. We are here to help you meet your academic goals and get settled in your new home.Read more
About Kansas City
Kansas City is a major metropolitan area of about 2 million people and home to one of the fastest growing job markets in the Midwest and several Fortune 500 companies. The city is well known for its contributions to the musical styles of jazz and blues as well as to cuisine, notably Kansas City-style barbecue.
At the University of Missouri-Kansas City, an entire city is your campus, stretching your academic and personal pursuits beyond the norm of typical universities. A part of Kansas City’s thriving urban core, UMKC brings together its students and the city it calls home. Not only does UMKC offer an amazing educational experience with top-notch faculty and skills that go directly from the classroom to the real world, but also the convenience of big city living without the outrageous price tag.
UMKC currently has reciprocal student exchange agreements with over 30 universities abroad and belongs to the Mid America Universities International (MAUI) – Utrecht student exchange consortium. Students must be enrolled at an exchange partner university and be nominated to be eligible to study at UMKC.Read more
Partner UniversitiesUMKC currently has reciprocal student exchange agreements with the following universities abroad:
|University Name||City, Province/State||Country|
|MAUI (Mid-America Universities International)||Multiple - for more information visit MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange||Europe, multiple - for more information visit MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange|
|University of Klagenfurt||Klagenfurt||Austria|
|University of Lyon 2||Lyon||France|
|University of Bremen||Bremen||Germany|
|Kempten University of Applied Sciences||Kempten||Germany|
|University of Augsburg||Augsburg||Germany|
|University of Western Cape||Cape Town||South Africa|
|Dongguk University||Seoul||South Korea|
|Konkuk University||Seoul||South Korea|
|Kingston University||Kingston||United Kingdom|
Degree-seeking international students should refer to the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO) for information related to studying at UMKC. The information below applies to students participating in a one or two semester reciprocal exchange program between UMKC and their home university, which is currently a UMKC partner.Read more
Application Steps for UMKC Exchange Program: New for 2017-18
- All incoming exchange students must FIRST be nominated by their home university.
- Nominated students must apply through the IAP online application portal by click the Apply Now button located at the top of this page.
- Create an account using the User Identification Wizard. Make note of your username and password so you can go back in and add items to your application.
- Choose the term when you wish to attend UMKC.
- Complete all Signature Document(s). On right, click on the title of each signature document for more details. Carefully read and digitally sign these documents. A check mark will appear next to each complete item.
- Complete Application Questionnaires. Click on the title of each Application Questionnaire for more details. A check mark will appear next to each complete item.
- Complete all Required Readings. Click the title of each Required Reading for more details.
- Your program application is complete once a check mark appears next to each application item.
- All new international students are charged $50 for our online partner exchange application. Additional fees include an $80 charge per semester fee from the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO), as well as the required health insurance. The ISAO and health insurance charges will appear on your student Pathway UMKC billing/enrollment account.
- Email Kate Wozniak to indicate you have started the application process.
All exchange students will be charged for UMKC International Student Health Insurance. UMKC does not accept health insurance from other countries. The cost of the mandatory health insurance is approximately … for fall semester and …. for spring. For a full academic year (Aug-July), insurance is approximately $… per student. This fee will be placed on your student Pathway UMKC billing account.
UMKC on-campus housing offers you a place to meet and hang out with other students and be close to campus and the city. Exchange Students may also decide to live in off campus housing in Kansas City.Read more
On Campus Housing
We recommend making on-campus housing reservations before coming to Kansas City. Most exchange students choose to live on campus, because of the close proximity to classes and the opportunity to meet American students. Please visit the UMKC Residential Life website to learn more about on campus housing options. We have places reserved especially for exchange students in the Oak Place Apartments quad. You can cook your own meals and you will have roommates and privacy at the same time. Students must sign a rental agreement and submit it through the International Academic Programs online application portal, along with other application materials (do not apply online at housing website).
While admission to the university does not guarantee that students will receive university housing. Getting everything turned in on time will help us find you a place.
Off Campus Housing
UMKC does not provide any assistance in obtaining non university housing. While there are some off campus housing options near campus — furnished, short-term housing can be very difficult do find in the U.S.
Please note: Students are not required to live on campus. You are responsible for arranging your own off campus housing. UMKC is not responsible for your housing location or situation. Although we highly recommend that you have your housing completely situated before arriving in Kansas City, if you plan to live off campus, you may need to stay in a hotel before arrangements are finalized. Many hotels offer a reduced rate if students mention they are associated with UMKC (for about $100/night).
All incoming exchange students at the University of Missouri-Kansas City attend an in-person orientation upon arrival. The UMKC orientation provides students with a valuable introduction to UMKC and Kansas City.Read more
The orientation is MANDATORY and students will not be able to register for classes until they have completed the entire orientation. Click Here for more information on the orientation.
Fall 2018 Orientation is on Tuesday 15 August (students must arrive in Kansas City on 14 August or before).
Spring 2019 Orientation is on Tuesday 9 January (students must arrive in Kansas City on 8 January or before).