New Payments Page for Nonresident Aliens

A new page has been added to the Payroll and Records tab as a resource for departments and employees on procedures for issuing payments to nonresident aliens (NRAs).

This page will include general information on who qualifies as a nonresident alien as well as more detailed descriptions for payment procedures.

Departments will refer to this page for direction concerning hiring procedures, honorarium payments, scholarships, and prizes & awards. NRAs can utilize this page for information concerning tax returns, tax treaties, scholarships & prizes, and hiring procedures.

If you have any questions regarding the content available on this page you can contact Emma Satterfield at

Click here to view the new NRA Payments page 

What is a 1099 Tax Form and how do I obtain it?

A 1099 tax form is used to report any kind of income you receive throughout the year other than your salary paid to you by your employer. Central Payroll in Columbia issues 1099 tax forms and they will be sent to your home address. Please direct questions and/or concerns regarding 1099 tax forms to Sheila Cheffen in our payroll department at

Understand the Difference: W-4 and W-2 Tax Forms

The W-4 tax form helps calculate the amount of federal income tax that should be withheld from your pay. It considers factors such as your family situation and number of dependents. You can alter your W-4 at any time during the year by logging into your myHR account and selecting Employee Federal and State W-4 under the Pay and Leave menu.

The W-2 tax form is provided to you by your employer at the end of the year and includes information such as: wages earned, federal and state taxes withheld, and your Social Security contributions. You can view and print your W-2 at the end of the year by logging into your myHR account and selecting View Your W-2 Form under the Pay and Leave menu. W-2 forms from previous years can also be found there.