myPerformance Appraisal Process Now Open!

The 2017 myPerformance appraisal process is now OPEN! The process beings with a self-appraisal, followed by a supervisor and second level review, then employee/manager meetings to discuss the appraisals. The recommended deadline to submit the first step, the self-appraisal, is April 30th (please refer to your department timeline).

Training opportunities are available to provide helpful information related to the performance appraisal tool and is strongly recommended for all supervisory and non-supervisory benefit-eligible staff.

If you have questions about myPerformance, please contact the UMKC HR Service Center at 816-235-1621. Or you may contact the System HR Service Center at (573) 882-2146 or

How do I request a health/dental insurance card?

To request a health insurance card, please call United Health Care at (844) 634-1237 or login to your United Health Care account at to print a temporary card. If you have not created an account with United Health Care select Register Now and follow the prompts.

To request a dental insurance card, please contact Delta Dental’s Customer Service line at (800) 335-8233. You can also request a new card and print a temporary card by logging in to your account at To login select Member, Employer Plan, Dental Login or Dental Member Registration to create a new accountOn the homepage there will be the option to Request ID/Print Temporary ID.

Should you need assistance, you can speak to a Human Resources Representative at (816) 235-1621.

Information for Exiting Employees

Below, you will find many resources that can help ease your transition as you end your journey at UMKC. These resources include: the UMKC exit survey, helpful campus resources and general information.

Please contact your employee relations representative, HR Business Partner or HR Facilitator with any questions you may have. We are here to assist you however we can to ensure that your departure from the university is as smooth as possible. Thank you for your service!

Continue reading