Online Application Tips & FAQs
- If you are a new user, establish a User Name and Password by clicking on the Register link on that page. This step is only required once you are ready to apply for a job.
- Please use your existing e-mail address as your user name. (For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.) If you do not have an e-mail address, several websites offer free e-mail accounts including mail.yahoo.com or www.hotmail.com. If you do not wish to create an e-mail address, please create a user name and password that you will easily remember. Please note that not providing an email address may exclude you from receiving important communication regarding the status of your application and the job(s) you have applied for.
- To view the list of job openings, simply click on the yellow “Search” button. If using the “Advanced Search,” do not use the “Select Job Families” menu
- NOTE: While navigating through the online application, DO NOT use your browser’s “back“ “refresh” or “forward” buttons. This will cause the system to time out and result in the loss of any data you have entered to that point.
- NOTE: On Sunday night/Monday morning (between midnight – 6:00 a.m.), maintenance is done on the online application system. During this time, you will not be able to enter the system or submit an application. Also, if you receive a “NO RESULTS FOUND” message at the top of the hour, the system may be refreshing. Please try again in a few minutes.
- Applications must be submitted prior to 11:45pm CST on the final day of posting in order to be successfully submitted.
- If you are experiencing problems completing the application process, please proceed to our Troubleshooting webpage to review basic steps for resolving browser and configuration problems during the application process. If you still need technical assistance, please call (800) 488-5288 8:00am- 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete an application?
The time it takes to complete an application depends on several factors – the amount of work experience and education you have to enter, how fast you can type, etc. You should allow 25-60 minutes for the total process. However, you can speed up the process by collecting important information about previous work experience, education, certifications, references, etc., before you start creating your application. The information on your application form when you apply will be used to evaluate your qualifications for the job opening for which you apply. Make sure it is accurate and contains ALL the required information.
Can I apply by e-mail, fax, mail, or by directly contacting the hiring department?
UMKC only accepts applications and resumes submitted through the electronic application system.
If I do not have access to a computer, how do I apply?
For those without Internet access, the Human Resources department has computers available that can be used to access the electronic application system. In addition, any computer with Internet access can be used to access our website.
Can I attach a resume and cover letter to my application?
Yes, you can attach your resume, cover letter, and references to your application. Please combine all application materials (resume, cover letter, references, etc.) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as your resume attachment. Be sure to name the document(s) appropriately. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.). Cover letters should be addressed to “Recruiter.”
What happens to my application after I submit it? How do I know that you have received my application?
Once you submit your application and agree to the conditions of employment, you will receive an automatic confirmation e-mail. You should receive this e-mail within a few hours. This is a courtesy confirmation email, please do not respond to this message. If you do not have an email address, you can verify that your application was received by clicking on the My Applications link on the Careers Home page. The status of the job will read, “Applied” if your application was successfully submitted.
How is my application reviewed?
Human Resources will review your application for minimum qualifications. To ensure we are consistent with our normal practice and Affirmative Action guidelines, if you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the position(s) you applied, your application materials will not be forwarded to the department for further review and consideration. Should you have questions about the minimum qualifications criteria, please refer to the information provided on the job listing.
Can I update an application once it has been submitted?
Once you have submitted an application, you will not be able to change the information. The only information that can be changed is information in your profile (for external applicants ONLY), such as Address, Email Address, and Phone Number. However, you can apply for a position more than once. We review only the most recently submitted application.
When is my application due?
All applications must be submitted before the closing date for the position – no later than 11:45 p.m. CST. Applications cannot be submitted after the job posting has been taken off the website and therefore cannot be considered.
Do I have to re-enter my information every time I apply for another position?
If you have already submitted an application in the past, the information you entered will populate your new application so you do not have to re-enter the same information every time you apply. If you want to edit the information for the new position, you may do so also. You will need to respond to the Applicant Questionnaire every time you apply for another position.
I registered on the application system, but I cannot remember my username or my password. What should I do?
You can click on “Login Help” on the Careers page and request that your username or password be sent to your e-mail address. If you still need assistance after using the “Login Help”, please call (800) 488-5288
How often is the job opening information updated?
Job opening information is updated every day. Please be sure to note the deadline for applying for each position. Positions are removed at 12:00midnight CST on the closing date. Remember, your application must be successfully submitted no later than 11:45 p.m. CST on the close date.
When will my application be sent to the hiring manager?
Assuming you met the minimum qualifications of the specific job, and you completed all relevant sections of the application, your application will be forwarded to the hiring manager within two business days from the day your application materials are successfully submitted online.
What is the time span for the hiring manager to contact me if I am selected for an interview?
Each hiring manager’s schedule is different. Once the position is closed, the candidate pool must be certified. Human Resources will have all qualified applications to the hiring managers and the candidate pool certified within two days of the position closing. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly from the department’s hiring authority.
How can I check on the status of my application?
To inquire about the status of your application, you can:
- Check your email. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your online application with a few hours. If you did not receive this email (and you provided us with an email address), please check your junk mail folder.
- Verify your application was received by clicking on the “My Applications link on the Careers Home page. The status of the job will read “Applied” if your application was successfully submitted.
- Contact a member of the Recruitment team 816-235-1621.
What are the age requirements to work at UMKC?
In accordance with federal and state regulations, a minor less than 18 years of age may be employed by the University only under certain circumstances. Please contact Human Resources for details.