UMKC Housing Fall 2020 COVID-19 Response
We are excited that you have chosen to live on campus with us this fall! Summer is just beginning, but before you know it, fall semester move-in will be here.
As we prepare for your arrival, we want you to know that the health and safety of our students is our highest priority. We have spent several weeks working with health professionals at the local, state and national levels to develop practices, policies, and recommendations in alignment with Centers for Disease Control guidelines. These policies are designed to mitigate exposure so our students have a safe place to live, learn and grow. Given that the situation is ever evolving, we will continually reevaluate our policies to ensure we are complying with CDC guidelines, industry best practices and local recommendations.
Below is an outline of some of the steps we will be taking at the beginning of the fall semester:
Beginning this fall, guests will be limited to residents from the same building, caretakers, and those assisting with move-in/out only. Roommates and suitemates must establish their own visitation rules for their rooms/apartments, within the University-established guidelines. Room-/suitemates are expected to respect each other’s reasonable requests for privacy and must have permission from their room-/suitemate(s) before hosting a guest, regardless of visitation length. A resident’s right to privacy takes precedence over the privilege of having guests.
- Will be locked but available for use by checking out a key at the building’s front desk. Only one resident is permitted in the kitchen at a time. Additionally, we will supply cleaning supplies for residents with the expectation residents will clean up after each use
Laundry Rooms and Public Restrooms
- Additional cleanings will be done throughout the day in accordance with CDC recommendations and campus protocol.
Study and Community Lounges
- Will be closed at the beginning of the semester.
- In accordance with current CDC guidelines, we recommend that elevator occupancy be limited to two people to allow for social distancing.
Other Public Spaces
Lobbies, access doors, etc. will have frequent cleanings throughout the day in accordance with CDC recommendations and campus procedures.
Furniture will be arranged to maximize distance between individuals. Additionally, beds may not be bunked to ensure adequate distance is maintained. However, lofting will still be allowed (lofting kits are available only in Oak Street Hall).
Lobby Front Desks:
Plexiglass and hand-sanitizer stations have been installed at all of our lobby front desks. Additionally, equipment distribution (board games, kitchenware, sports items, pool cues, etc.) will be suspended.
- Service at all locations, both residential dining and retail dining, will be either directly served or prepackaged. No self-service.
- Food service will offer a combination of pre-order take-out options and modified on-premise dining in the Dining Center and retail locations. On-premise dining will be limited to 50% of seating capacity at all locations.
- A new app will allow students to place orders, complete secure payment using their dining plan or payment card information and schedule pick-up times at all locations.
- Dining Center hours will be modified to allow for more frequent cleaning and disinfection of the dining area between meal periods, while offering longer periods of time for students to access the full breakfast, lunch and dinner offerings.
- All locations will move toward contactless entry and transactions. FreedomPay at all locations currently accepts Apple Pay and Google Pay.
These are just some of the steps we are taking to mitigate risks so our students have a safe living and learning environment. We will continuously work to update and apply best practices as recommended and needed.
If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact our office at 816-235-8840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you all in the coming months, but in the meantime stay safe and remember – we are RooSTRONG!