We hope you’ve had a pleasant summer and are looking forward to a great academic year! We are excited to see you in August and, in preparation, have been diligently working to craft a move-in process that is safe, efficient and as stress-free as possible. Please read below about additional details, as we kindly request five action items from you.
- Obtain and submit a negative COVID-19 test before moving in
- The test must have been performed in your local community no more than seven days before move in. Please go to your local medical provider or check out this Kansas City area testing sites.
- The test result should be submitted through our RooRez portal. Use the Student Login, then under “Submit Move-in Documentation” select COVID Test Results from the pull-down menu. As a back-up, bring a paper copy to prevent any move-in delays.
- Students who are unwilling to submit a COVID-19 test result will not be able to live in Residential Life housing.
- Students whose test results are taking longer than seven days will be credited for the days they cannot live in Residential Life housing.
- Students who cannot afford testing fees can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the test has been performed, and until they arrive on campus, Residential Life students should refrain from participating in any activities that put them at risk of contracting the virus.
- Note: international students arriving from outside the U.S. will have additional testing requirements. Details will be communicated to you soon.
- Set an Appointment to Move-In
For those who did not use express move-in:
- To maintain a limited number of people in a building at a time, you must set up an appointment through RooRez.
- Use the Student Login, then under “Book an Appointment” you’ll be able to select an appointment time. Appointments must be made at least 24 hours ahead of your desired arrival time. Appointments will be contingent upon availability.
- Appointments will be available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, August 17, through Saturday, August 22. Each appointment will be 90 minutes long. During this time, you will pull into the designated unloading zone, receive your keys and move items into your room.
- One cart will be made available for your usage during your appointment – feel free to bring additional dollies or hand trucks.
- If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment up to 24 hours before your appointment, return to the RooRez portal and change your appointment. New appointments will be contingent upon availability.
For those who did use express move-in:
- Great news! There’s no need to set an appointment for move-in! You may arrive as early as 8 a.m. Monday, August 17.
- Simply park your vehicle in the Cherry Street parking structure, and head to your building’s front desk. There, you’ll receive your keys. You can then head to your room!
- Please do not move your vehicle into the designated unloading zones – these will be reserved for individuals who did not use the express move-in and are moving in all of their personal belongings.
- For those who have used express move-in, carts will not be available for use until after 8 p.m., so please consider bringing a dolly for any larger items.
- Establish a COVID-19 Contingency Plan
- If a resident, in consultation with medical professionals, needs to isolate or quarantine after arriving on campus, they are expected to do so in a location outside of Residential Life housing. Residents must complete a form prior to move-in, outlining their contingency plan in the event they need alternative housing. If you need help to resolve, contact email@example.com.
- Information and instructions for completing the contingency plan are available here. This must be completed by 4 p.m. on August 10th.
- Keep Your Safety and the Safety of Others in Mind
- While moving in, please allow for six feet of distance between you and individuals who are not part of your move-in party. This includes other students/families, as well as Residential Life staff.
- Face coverings or masks are required in all spaces except a student’s own room. This also applies to the student’s move-in helpers. Be aware that the UMKC policy complies with the Kansas City, Mo., mask requirements. All students, faculty, staff and guests must wear masks in indoor spaces, which would include all classrooms, labs, libraries, the Student Union and other spaces.
- We ask that no more than two people, in addition to the student, assist with the move-in process.
- Elevator occupancy will be limited to one student and their move-in party at a time, so please be patient.
- We highly encourage you to talk to your roommates and/or suitemates about staggering your arrival times to maintain distancing during the move-in process.
- Plan for Alternate Dining if Arriving Before Wednesday, August 19
- Fall meal plans will begin on Wednesday, August 19. If you wish to arrive to campus earlier than Wednesday, please note UMKC Dining Services will not be available and students will be responsible for their own meals.
We thank you for your patience as we navigate this uncharted territory. We hope you find this process beneficial and that it helps ease the stress of starting a new academic year in August. Take care, and safe travels!