The American Royal Museum celebrates more than 115 years of the tradition and hard work that helped build Kansas City and the West. From the development of superior livestock breeds and agricultural products to the rough and tumble excitement of rodeo and the sweet smell of the World Series of Barbecue® the history of the American Royal reflects the history of America’s move West.
This summer, the American Royal Museum is looking for one intern to assist in the digitization and cataloging of their collection. As necessary, the Collections Intern will support the American Royal Museum with other collection management projects.
- Enter accession and donor information for objects in the collection not already entered into the museum’s collections management database
- Update old records
- Correlate all items with correct paper and database files. If these files do not already exist, create said file
- Ensure all objects are properly marked with old and new accession numbers
- Digitally photograph or scan each object and add images
- Improve storage conditions where practical and note storage location for each object
Duration/Hours: 10 weeks; 20 hours per week; Federal holidays Pay: $2,000 stipend (before taxes) Start Date: June 1, 2015 (flexible)
Bachelor’s degree or intended graduation with a focus in Museum Studies, History, or related field; Master’s degree preferred; strong attention to detail; ability to handle large workloads and meet deadlines; and ability to work well alone. Optional, but preferred: museum registration and/or inventory experience, as well as familiarity with Microsoft Access.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2015. Final selection will be made by May 28, 2015
Application Details: Send hard or electronic copy of a cover letter and resume to: The American Royal Museum c/o Kristie Larson, 1701 American Royal Ct., Kansas City, MO 64102 or KristieL@americanroyal.com. Questions about the position may be directed to: KristieL@americanroyal.com