The Wornall/Majors House Museums
6115 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO 64113
SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT THE WORNALL/MAJORS HOUSE MUSEUMS
The Wornall/Majors House Museums is a non-profit that preserves and interprets two of Kansas City’s most significant antebellum landmarks – the John Wornall House Museum and the Alexander Majors House Museum. The Museums engage the Kansas City community by bringing history to life through innovative, hands-on programs and experiences. The houses, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places, feature hands-on tours, field trips, summer camps, adult education programs, and more.
About the Internship
Our interns experience many facets of museum management. We value our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.
The internship runs through the summer and may extend into the fall if desired. This is an unpaid position for college credit. The internship will focus on the John Wornall House’s collections. Throughout the course of the internship, the intern will research collection items using museum records and outside sources, and update collection records in Past Perfect.
- Examine museum collection records
- Conduct research to determine validity of records
- Conduct research to obtain new information
- Update collection records in Past Perfect
- Update Past Perfect to reflect latest inventory
- Other tasks as assigned
- Familiarity with research methods
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to discern importance and validity of information
- Genuine interest in the history of the area and of the Civil War
- Background in museum studies, history, or library science preferred.
The intern will work 15 hours a week at the John Wornall House Museum for a minimum of 8 weeks. Beginning and ending dates can be flexible and the internship may extend into the fallsemester if desired. In addition, the intern may be asked to participate in special events and field trips. These hours are not required and may be substituted for a regularly scheduled shift.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Sarah Bader-King, firstname.lastname@example.org