UMKC Counseling Services provides a wide range of psychological services including counseling, psychological assessment and crisis intervention.
Psychological counseling or therapy is a process where one can identify, manage and even reduce emotional concerns and symptoms. This is accomplished through the assistance of mental health professionals in either a group, individual or couple counseling setting or even through a workshop. Counseling is confidential and quite effective.
We provide counseling, psychological assessment, crisis intervention, drug and alcohol prevention, consultation and referrals, as well as several outreach and prevention endeavors targeting a wide range of mental health concerns. We serve enrolled students at UMKC.
How do I begin?
Call UMKC Counseling Services at 816-235-1635 to schedule an Initial Consultation appointment with one of our mental health professionals.
- We ask that you arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled Initial Consultation appointment in order to complete required paperwork in advance.
- You will meet with a mental health professional for approximately 25 to 30 minutes to discuss what has brought you to counseling and to determine what may be most helpful as you move forward.
- During the Initial Consultation appointment, the counselor may ask questions that do not seem directly related to your initial concern. Your answers to these questions provide important information that helps your counselor to get the “big picture” of how you are doing.
The counselor who meets with you for your Initial Consultation appointment may recommend joining one of our groups or a workshop series, participating in individual or couple counseling or connecting with campus and community resources. If you pursue the recommended services here at our agency, you may or may not be matched with the mental health professional you spoke with during your Initial Consultation appointment.
What will happen in counseling?
- Your counselor will assist you with understanding your concern, clarifying treatment options and determining what will be most helpful to you as you move forward.
- Counselors can help you express thoughts and feelings, while also pointing out a different perspective you may not have considered.
- They may provide information or suggestions, but generally, they do not give direct advice or try to make decisions for you.
- Your counselor can assist you in defining appropriate goals.
The amount of effort you put into the counseling process will directly impact your level of satisfaction and success with the counseling process.
UMKC Counseling Services may refuse or limit treatment, including Assessment Services, due to any of the following reasons.
If Counseling Services cannot provide treatment, appropriate community referrals will be made.