Convener Corner: Stacy Krieg

Get Waxy–Encaustic Mixed Media Soul Collage

Meet Stacy Krieg; mother, artist, and  convener of Get Waxy-Encaustic Mixed Media Soul Collage. Encaustic painting means to burn into a surface using heat source and beeswax. In this class, students created a mixed media collage for their home using photographs, drawings, and other found items.

1. What is your hometown?
I was born in South Dakota but spent most of my childhood in NY.

2. How do you spend your time outside of teaching a Communiversity course?
Outside of teaching and painting, I spend time with my two kids, age 11 and 13. Additionally, I like to garden, be outdoors, and travel.

3. What training do you have that makes you a pro at your Communiversity course (education, training, experience, etc.)?
I spent many years in the corporate world. Then, 3 years ago I was able to make the switch to becoming a full time artist. I have studied encaustic in many cities and have taken a lot of art classes. Mainly, however, I use my intuitive skill to help people find their voice in painting. Teaching comes very naturally to me.

4. What are three adjectives that describe you?
3 adjectives that describe me are…tenacious, motivated, and caring.

5. What would you describe as your greatest accomplishment in life?
One is raising two well-rounded kids. The other is taking the risk to pursue my art dream and making things happen very quickly in my career.

6. Who is your role model and why?
My favorite role model has always been Michael Jordan. He persevered through so many things – not making his high school basketball team, his father’s untimely death, and changing careers to baseball for a time. He has so much passion for basketball and by his passion alone, shows others not to stop dreaming.

7.What is your favorite food? What is your favorite restaurant in Kansas City?
I sort of don’t want to admit this – but candy is my favorite food! I love painting and eating hard candy while I jam to Pandora. But for real food, my favorite restaurant in KC is Kin Lin, Chinese, close to UMKC.

8. When was the last time you had an amazing meal?
My last two amazing meals came from Michael Smith’s Extra Virgin and La Bodega – both tapas places.

9. What kind of music do you listen to?
I love to listen to Pandora while I work. I love everything from rap to country (with the exception of heavy metal)!

10. What is your all-time favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption. Another instance of perseverance and faith.

11 .If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?
If I could go back and witness one historical event, it would be World War II and the movement of the monuments men to save as much European artwork as they could.

12. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?
If I could meet anyone, I would choose Princess Diana. She was such a caring, loving, real person – and I would love to have lunch with her.

13. If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
If I won the lottery, there are two things that I would do. First, I would buy hundreds of acres and start a wild horse sanctuary. Additionally, I would build a large co-op art gallery where artists would have the opportunity to take classes and display their work.

14. If you were stranded on a desert island, what is the one thing you would want with you?
If I were stranded on an island, and assuming I had my family with me and food, the thing I would want most is a sketch pad, pencil, sharpener, and an eraser. Oh – and a fan. I can’t sleep without one!

15. What is one thing about yourself that you want the world to remember you for?
The one thing that I want the world to remember about me is that I am an honest person who gives everything her all.