2021 Repertoire is now available!
Participants ($599, 8 rounds total) will conduct four times with the UMKC Conservatory Wind Symphony Chamber Players and four additional times in breakout groups. Auditors ($250, 4 rounds total) will conduct four times in breakout groups only. The observer track ($150, no conducting rounds) is designed for all other individuals wishing to engage in the symposium. An email to select pre-determined excerpts from the symposium repertoire will be sent at a later date.
Repertoire excerpts will be chosen from wind octet arrangements of the following works:
- Chen Yi – Dragon Rhyme
- Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel – Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast
- Davids, Brent Michael – Grandmother Song
- Etezady, Roshanne – Anahita
- Higdon, Jennifer – Rhythm Stand
- Jolley, Jennifer – Ash
- Mozart, W.A./arr. Johann Wendt – Cosi Fan Tutte (Volume I)
- Mozart, W.A./arr. Johann Wendt – Cosi Fan Tutte (Volume 2)
- Price, Florence – The Oak
- Revueltas, Silvestre – Sensemaya
- Thomas, Omar – Shenandoah
- Toussaint, Eugenio – Oktkt (score provided)
- Wijeratne, Dinuk – Invisible Cities
Please note: if an octet arrangement of the piece does not already exist, UMKC Bands will provide the corresponding excerpts. But, as is standard practice for conducting symposia, we ask that participants purchase the score to the original version of their chosen repertoire. This way, conductors can study the primary source, gather all of the necessary information, and support the composer by purchasing their music. In other words, 10 of the listed pieces do not exist in a published wind octet arrangement, so conductors will need to purchase the original setting and will then receive the corresponding octet version from UMKC Bands directly.