Graduate Conducting Program
Choral Conducting Graduate Auditions
Auditions are scheduled at the time of application. To schedule your audition, please apply to the Conservatory. Details about audition and application procedures can be found on the Conservatory website here.
Applicants must upload the following to the Decision Desk application:
- a current resume
- a short essay explaining your future goals and reasons for your interest in UMKC
- a copy of a recent research paper representative of your research and writing skills
- a recording of a recent rehearsal and/or performance that represents your abilities as a choral conductorNote: Applicants will be notified in early January regarding whether or not they have received an invitation for a live audition. At this time, applicants who have been selected for a live audition will receive further audition information and materials.
Contact Julie Koch with questions concerning the initial application process.
The choral conducting audition will consist of:
- Interview with choral faculty: This is a time for getting acquainted. You might be asked about your past and plans for the future. It is also a time for you to ask questions concerning the Conservatory and/or the conducting program.
- Interview with student committee: This offers you an opportunity to ask questions and hear answers from the students’ point of view.
- Conducting/rehearsal demonstration with a Conservatory choral ensemble: You will receive one piece selected from your audition ensemble’s current repertoire in your audition invitation packet. You will have a ten minute time period to rehearse this piece with one of our mixed choruses. You may rehearse them in any way you wish, i.e. address one or two items in detail or run through large sections of the piece working on several items in general. This demonstration allows us to observe your conducting style, rehearsal pacing, and communicative skills.
- Private conducting audition with choral faculty: You will be asked to select a piece to conduct in a private lesson with choral faculty. Specific information will be included in your audition invitation packet.
- Applied Voice Audition: The applied music audition for the choral conducting degree requires the performance of ten minutes of standard vocal repertoire before an audition committee of voice faculty. The music must be memorized. An accompanist will be provided.
- A brief, informal luncheon: Although attendance is not mandatory, it will be a pleasant way to meet people and to ask any questions you may have.