Dates for this four-day in-person program:
October 5, 12, 19, and 26, 2023 (6:30-9pm).
The Advanced Board Leadership Series is a highly interactive and fast-paced series designed to further prepare and support experienced members and leaders of nonprofit and public service governing boards, especially Board Chairs, Officers, Committee Chairs, Chief Executives, and those who aspire to serve in such roles. This four-session series is facilitated by Dr. David Renz, director emeritus of the Midwest Center for Nonprofit Leadership at UMKC and a nationally recognized expert on nonprofit governance and boards. Our vision for the series is to attract and engage a diverse group of experienced leaders from across the Kansas City community in thoughtful learning and dialogue as we explore the challenge of board effectiveness and share with each other what we have learned about how to develop, support, and sustain it. The goal of the series is to enhance the effectiveness of experienced nonprofit and other public service board and executive leaders as they develop and lead boards capable of excellence and impact.
We will meet from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at the Bloch Executive Hall at UMKC for four Thursday nights in October: October 5, 12, 19, and 26. Participants are asked to attend all sessions.
Session 1: Boards, Governance and Organizational Effectiveness
Date: October 5, 2023 (6:30-9pm)
- Introduction to the Series, Your Colleagues, and How We Learn Together
- Governance, Boards, and the Roles that Bring Them to Life
- The Fundamentals of Board Effectiveness
Session 2: Critical Elements of Governance Success
Date: October 12, 2023 (6:30-9pm)
- The Life Cycle of Board and Board Member Effectiveness
- Boards and Executives: The Imperative of Role Clarity
- The Unique Power and Impact of an Effective Chair
Session 3: The Growing and Sustaining an Effective Board
Date: October 19, 2023 (6:30-9pm)
- Strategies for Developing and Sustaining Board Performance
- How Healthy is Your Board’s Culture?
- The Universe of Board Self-Assessments (and How to Use Them Well)
Session 4: Sustaining a Healthy and Effective Board
Date: October 26, 2023 (6:30-9pm)
- The Elephant in Every Board Room: Strategies for Diversity, Inclusion, and Impact
- Preparing For and Enabling Leadership Succession
- Making Sense of It All: A Dialogue on Board Effectiveness
Location and Parking:
The sessions will be held at the UMKC Bloch Executive Hall, 5108 Cherry Street, Kansas City, Missouri. Parking details will be sent after registration.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy:
Full refunds will be given when cancellations are made at least five working days before the first session. A $50 cancellation fee will be deducted from refunds when notification occurs fewer than five working days before class begins. No refunds will be made after the first session has begun. You may transfer your registration by contacting MCNL at (816) 235-5720 or email@example.com.
Photo and Video Release:
By attending the event, you are giving MCNL permission to use photos and videos from the workshop in future promotional materials.