Laura Boswell (B.B.A. ’08, MBA ’13): Experiencing Her Dream

Photo Credit: Brandon Parigo, Division of Strategic Marketing and Communications

Laura Boswell had a dream to work in the health care field, and by leveraging her Bloch education, she’s now a leader in a budding nonprofit sector.

“I spent several days a week volunteering in hospitals through middle and high school,” she explains. “I have had many experiences that allowed me to explore the health care field, including participating in the Edward A. Smith Urban Leadership internship with the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.”

Doranne Hudson, Associate Teaching Professor in Management and Executive-in-Residence, served as Boswell’s mentor through that program, and her direction was paramount to Boswell’s experience.

“Professor Hudson provided fantastic guidance and insight as I studied leadership, and the challenges associated with it,” Boswell says.

While at the Health Care Foundation, federally qualified health centers in the urban core piqued her interest.

“As I began analyzing changes in the industry, it was clear that a lot of traditional medical model services were moving to the home or community,” Boswell says. “I realized this was a sector within the industry where I could have the greatest impact.”

Boswell worked for a few nonprofit organizations before landing a position as a business analyst, where her main duties included analyzing new business prospects on the private equity team. In that role, she worked with numerous home and community-based health care agency owners. Soon enough, she connected with the entrepreneur behind Minds Matter LLC, an organization dedicated to helping individuals who have experienced a brain injury live independently at home, and was offered the role of chief operating officer.

These days, Boswell’s daily tasks involve a variety of operations, from contract negotiation, to software development, strategic planning, to billing and more. In short, Boswell says “I do whatever it takes to provide a stable foundation which enables the organization to grow.”

Boswell gives Kansas City’s connectivity and innovation some credit for her success.

“It’s a big small town at heart,” she says. “There is an incredible amount of innovation happening, and several ways to share viewpoints, all with a Midwestern feel.”

Laura is highlighted in the 2017 Bloch Magazine. To read the full edition, click here.