Salzsieder Named BKD Faculty Fellow

Assistant Professor Leigh Salzsieder was recently awarded the BKD Faculty Fellowship in Accounting at the Bloch School of Management.  Salzsieder, a former BKD accountant, teaches various courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

“Receiving this recognition from my former firm is especially meaningful to me.  Hardly a day goes by in class when I don’t discuss the real world experiences I had while working at BKD.”

Salzsieder, who is recognized for his talent in both teaching and mentoring, received the UMKC Chancellor’s Early Career Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2014.

“I am still passing down wisdom I gleaned from my mentors at BKD.  There’s no doubt that my experience there shaped not only what I teach, but how I teach.  There is no replacement for real world experience, and I know that a career in accounting is very rewarding and opens an incredible set of opportunities.”

BKD made this commitment to acknowledge the success of the accounting program and Salzsieder.   BKD Kansas City Managing Partner, Abe Cole, says BKD has always had tremendous success recruiting talent from UMKC.

“It was important to us to give back to the school.  We’re pleased that Leigh received the fellowship.  He was an absolute superstar at our firm.  We couldn’t be more proud of his success at UMKC.”

Salzsieder recognizes the significance of the firm’s commitment.

“Given the ever decreasing level of funding in higher education, it is a priority for our department and the Bloch School to find identify more fellowships and named faculty positions.  Support like that provided by BKD is necessary for us to realize our vision of developing talent to lead businesses and not-for-profit enterprises in Kansas City and beyond.”

BKD Kansas City has committed $50,000 to the Bloch School to support the fellowship over the next 10 years.  For information establishing fellowships or other giving opportunities, please contact Jeffrey Chapman at (816) 235-5554 or chapmanjeff@umkcfoundation.org.