5 Questions with Dr. Brian Anderson, Ph.D. Program Director

brian-anderson

Dr. Brian Anderson as the Ph.D. Program Director in the Department of Global Entrepreneurship and Innovation

In our 5 Questions series, we will hear from those at the heart of the Bloch School – our faculty, staff students and friends.

5 Questions with Dr. Brian Anderson

1. What brought you to the Bloch School? The chance to serve as Director of the Ph.D. program in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. You can be a professor almost anywhere, but you don’t get the opportunity to lead a program very often. In this role, I get to help shape and influence the next generation of entrepreneurship professors, and I hope I can make a big impact.
  1. How did you get involved in academia? This is my ninth career, but I think I finally hit on it. I’ve been an entrepreneur, served in the military, worked in government and politics – all of which prepared me in some small way to be a professor. I really didn’t decide on academia until I was working on my Masters at the University of Denver, which is when I became interested in research and teaching. It really was something that emerged over time. As soon as I started my Ph.D. program, I knew that this is what I really loved to do.
  1. What’s your favorite spot in Kansas City? I’ve only been in Kansas City about a month, but so far my favorite spots are everywhere I can get barbecue. Barbecue makes me happy.
  1. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Be humble. I’ve had three terrific mentors, two professional and one personal, who really changed my life. All three gave me that same advice.
  1. What has been the proudest moment in your career? Any time a student returns after four or five years and says “I’m better at what I’m doing because I had your course.” I don’t think there’s any better validation that you’re making an impact as a teacher than hearing someone say “I can do what I’m doing better because of you,” or even better, “I’m a better person because of your class.” That’s what gives me the most satisfaction.