The Years Add Up

Retiring accounting professor looks back fondly on 44 years of service.

howard_12

We recently sat down with LaVern “Howie” Krueger — Dr. K, as his students affectionately call him — to reminisce about his years at UMKC. Krueger, who joined UMKC in 1970 as an assistant professor, has seen the Bloch School thrive. During his tenure, he’s served as interim chair of the accounting department; been a faculty adviser of Beta Alpha Psi, the university’s premier professional accounting fraternity; and prepared hundreds of students for the certified public accountant licensure exam. Krueger bids farewell to the Bloch School in 2015.

You’ve been pegged by alumni as one of the most influential faculty members at the Bloch School. What’s your reaction to that?
It validates what I did. I’m always pleased to hear about successful alumni and the role I played in their careers.

What do you see as one of the Bloch School’s proudest moments?
A top achievement was seeing the accounting program rank in the Top 5 CPA pass rates in the nation in the category of medium-size programs by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy CPA Candidate Performance Book in 2012.

What is one thing you always tell your students?
I am not an accounting teacher; I’m an accountant who teaches. I’m an accountant first.

What do you consider the most instrumental book and why?
My favorite book is The Big Eight by Mark Stevens, and it’s a book I recommend to students. It gives a good context of what the eight most influential accounting firms look like in the U.S. and provides a realistic reference to each firm’s competitive atmosphere.

If you could go back and do it all over again, would you still choose accounting?
Yes, it’s been a wonderful career.

What are your plans after retirement?
I plan to buy a motorcycle.

– Kara Petrovic