Sixteen of more than 50 teams advanced to the semifinal round of the 2015 Regnier Venture Creation Challenge on May 9. Each semifinalist group received a $1,000 team prize.
Students presented new concepts to local investors, business leaders and entrepreneurs, while competing for up to $55,000 in total awards and seed funding. After hearing from each semifinalist group, judges selected four teams to compete for the top prize.
In the challenge’s final round, teams presented a more in-depth breakdown of their venture, covering topics such as business model, competitive analysis and financial plans. They also answered additional questions from judges. The finalists were evaluated on their idea’s value proposition, market viability, financial feasibility, ability to execute, likelihood of launch and potential impact.
- First place and a $15,000 team award: Mobility Designed, a medical device company that specializes in the design, manufacture and sale of pain free mobility aids.
- Second place and a $10,000 team award: Midwest Elite Academy, LLC, a line of cheerleading, dance and tumbling studios offering significant added value by teaching life skills and mental strength congruent with athletic training.
- Third place and a $7,500 team award: Sollular Connections, a start-up entity based on an independently designed and manufactured portable solar energy charger.
- Fourth place and a $5,000 team award: Blueprint, a portal designed to assist medical professionals in providing patient-centered care by supplying easy to digest lessons and step by step instructions.
“The four finalists represented a diversity of ventures but all reflected hard work and dedication to become a successful business that will add to the Kansas City economy,” said Dr. Jeff Hornsby, Interim Director of the Regnier Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
Three additional specialty awards were given to teams who excelled in specific areas of the competition. Each specialty award resulted in a $500 team prize.
- Outstanding Business Plan: mooncalf, LLC and Blueprint
- Outstanding Elevator Pitch: Sweet Dane’s Toffee and Mobility Designed
- Outstanding Venture Expo: LearnSaxophoneOnline.com and R4Tek
The Regnier Venture Creation Challenge is supported by the Regnier Family Foundations and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.