The Henry W. Bloch School of Management is now accepting applications for The Edward A. Smith Urban Leadership Intern program for Summer 2015.
This is a full-time, paid internship, along with a 3-credit hour independent study in leadership.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any M.B.A., M.S.A., M.P.A., M.S.F, M.E.R.E. or junior/senior B.B.A. or B.S.A. student who:
- is enrolled in a Bloch School degree program in the winter/spring term of 2015, but is graduating beyond July 2015;
- has a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- has strong oral English communication skills;
- is keenly interested in, and committed to, personal leadership development;
- has a reliable means of transportation
- can commit to a full-time, 40+ hours per week (paid) program.
Up to five Bloch students will be selected for the program, which will run 10 weeks, from early June to mid-August.
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THIS PROGRAM?
This program offers a full-time, paid internship in a non-profit, community, or government organization, tailored to the organization’s needs and the student’s interests. Past sponsors have included such organizations as Harvesters, Healthcare Foundation of KC, Greater KC Chamber of Commerce, SupportKC, KCPT, LINC, City of Kansas City MO, Toy and Miniature Museum, and KC Transit Authority.
This program also offers a Leadership Independent Study, done concurrently, carrying three elective credit hours. Relevant readings, self-reflection, group discussions, writing, and one-on-one faculty mentoring will help student gain insights about:
- personal strengths and development areas,
- strategies for effective leadership within organizations, and
- The rewards of civic/community service
Significant stipend: $7,000 for the 10-week period, from early June to mid-August.
HOW SHOULD I APPLY?
If you meet the eligibility criteria above, we invite you to submit the application no later than February 28, 2015.
Selection of students will be made by early April 2015. Apply now!