Kansas City is in the middle of the U.S. This means it has a lot of different kinds of weather and the weather can change from one day to the next. It can be sunny and warm one day and rainy and cold the next!
The fall semester is from August to December. If you come for the fall, you will see three seasons: summer, fall, and winter!
- When you arrive, it will probably be hot. In August, the temperature can be as high as 35 C!
- It usually starts to get cooler in October.
- When you leave in December, it will probably be cold. In December the temperature can be as low as 5 C!
The spring semester is from January and May. If you come for the spring, you will see two seasons: winter and spring!
- When you arrive, it will probably be cold. In January, the temperatures can be as low as -6 C!
- February is usually the coldest month.
- It usually starts to warm up in April.
- When you leave in May, it will probably be warm. In May, the temperature can be as high as 23 C.
The summer semester is from June to July.
- When you arrive, it will probably be hot, and it will still be hot when you leave.
- In the summer, it can be as hot as 37 C!
- The temperature can change a lot in one day. Often, it is comfortable in the morning, but very hot by the afternoon.
- Because Kansas City is on a river, it can be very humid. This can make it feel hotter than it really is. If the temperature is 32 C, it can feel like 35 C!
- Because it can get so hot, it is smart to have a water bottle with you. We have drinking fountains on campus where you can fill up your bottles during the day.
- In addition, many people choose to wear comfortable sandals to keep themselves cool while walking outside.
It rains in Kansas City. Sometimes, the rain is light, and other times it rains so hard it is difficult to see! Sometimes we even had very big rainstorms called “thunderstorms“.
It is a good idea to check the weather before you leave home in the morning. If it is going to rain, take an umbrella with you.
If you drive in Kansas City, please drive very carefully in a thunderstorm.
Winter and Snow
Winters in Kansas City are very cold. Even if there is no snow, you should dress like there is.
It snows in Kansas City. When it snows, it’s usually in December, January, or February. However, sometimes is snows in March or April too!
These are clothes you need for snow:
- Long pants
- Thick, warm socks
- A warm hat
- A warm scarf
- A warm coat
- A sweater