International Education week is being celebrated across the country. At UMKC we want to take this opportunity to connect with you and celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide! We know that without these opportunities, UMKC and our global community would not be the same. We strongly believe in the opportunities international education provides as we grow and learn together!
We hope you’ll join us for some of our events (check back for updates for Zoom links!):
Thank you for joining us and thank you for all that you contribute to our UMKC community!
The ISAO team has been transitioning back to working on campus in a limited capacity, which means that we will soon be able to resume some of our most essential in-office student services. At this time, we are prioritizing services that proved difficult or impossible to provide when our staff was working from home.
Starting August 3, ISAO will resume the following:
- ISAO phones (816-235-1113) will be monitored during our regular office hours (8am-5pm Monday through Friday)
- In-office staffing is limited, so please understand if your phone call is sent to voicemail
- Please leave your UMKC ID number – spoken slowly and clearly – in your voicemail so that a member of our team will be able to reply to you as quickly as possible
- We will make every effort to return your call or send an email reply as soon as we can
- Our building (the ASSC) is currently locked and closed to visitors. Therefore, students will be required to schedule an appointment in advance in order to come to ISAO to pick up their documents:
- Please call ISAO at 816-235-1113 to schedule a date/time to pick up your document
- At your scheduled time, please park in a metered space outside of our office and call us from your car to let us know you are here (DO NOT park in the Barber Shop parking spaces – you may be fined for this)
- We will bring your document out to you – please be sure you have your photo ID (UMKC ID, driver’s license, passport, etc.) so that we can confirm your identity prior to delivering your documents
- Please note that you may only pick up your own documents – we no longer allow pick-up authorization (as of February 2020)
- Once the ASSC is open to visitors (expected on August 17), we will have walk-in times available for document pick-up (rather than pick-up by appointment) – this information will be updated here as well as on ISAO’s COVID-19 Response page
Other ISAO services will continue to be offered virtually:
Meeting with an immigration advisor/DSO
- Appointments will continue to take place via Zoom – you can schedule an appointment by calling ISAO at 816-235-1113 (leave your UMKC ID number in your voicemail message)
- We do not plan to have “walk-in” advising this fall; however, more appointment times will be available with our advising team so that you can speak with an advisor about your questions/concerns
- Please remember that our Welcome Center staff is part of our advising team, and they are trained on a wide variety of subjects! Many common questions and concerns can be answered by our Welcome Center team (this is the team that oversees our main office email accounts as well as our phones)
Submitting documents to ISAO
- ISAO utilizes Pathway’s Secure File Upload (also referred to as the Secure Document Uploader) function to allow students to securely submit most documents and request forms
- We will not accept any paper documents/request forms submitted to ISAO – please use the Secure File Upload tool within Pathway to submit your documents or request forms to our office
- All OPT and CPT applications will need to be sent to our office via email to email@example.com at this time
In an effort to abide by social distancing recommendations, ISAO will be cancelling walk-in transcript review time until further notice.
Should you need to submit official documents in order to have your provisional hold lifted, you will need to email Alison Eaton at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine an appropriate plan of action.
International Student Affairs team
Due to the ever-changing environment on and off campus due to social distancing restrictions, ISAO continues to work diligently in our timely service to our students. However, we expect some delays in our ability to process physical documents, including the receipt of mail and shipping of admission packets or other requested materials, such as updated I-20s.
If you are able to submit digital documents for any required admission materials, please do so, as it will ensure more timely processing. If you are able to submit copies of your academic documents for the purposes of an admission decision, you will be able to submit your officials at a later date.
For current students: Our advising team is making every effort to adjust processes and methods of advising, whether it be through email, zoom or over the phone. Please check your UMKC email regularly. All updates from Advising will be communicated through email and we encourage you to reach out to us by email or phone to limit your movement throughout the Kansas City area. Additionally, we encourage you to send documents digitally whenever possible and we will accept digital signatures on ISAO request forms. Please remember your I-20, I-765, or other government documents require a physical written signature.
We appreciate your patience and wish you well as we make every attempt to keep our students, faculty, staff and overall community healthy.
The International Student Affairs team
ISAO is excited to announce the details of our upcoming events in our February Series: Employment in the United States!
Our next events are OPT Information Sessions and OPT Application Workshops. Each event will be held twice so you may attend whichever works best for your schedule. Please join us on the following dates to learn about OPT and the application process:
- OPT Information Session – Thursday, February 13 @ 3:00 – 4:00 pm in Miller-Nichols Learning Center 351
- OPT Application Workshop – Friday, February 14 @ 11:00 am – 12:00 pm in Atterbury Student Success Center 237
- OPT Information Session – Wednesday, February 19 @ 1:00 – 2:00 pm in Miller-Nichols Learning Center 351
- OPT Application Workshop – Thursday, February 27 @ 3:00 – 4:00 pm in Atterbury Student Success Center 237
We hope to see you at these events, and we encourage you to keep watching your email and social media for more events coming soon (including CPT information in March)!
Everyone knows the International Student Ambassadors from Orientation
And the various events they organize
Did you know that Ambassadors:
receive a scholarship
team building experiences
help recruit new students
Want to be an Ambassador for the 2020-2021 academic year?
Applications are available here
Submit your application before the deadline to be considered.
Hello International Roos!
Don’t forget – we are hosting an OPT information session Friday, February 15 at noon!
Can’t make it tomorrow? That’s ok, because we will have another session next Friday, February 22 at 3pm!
Both sessions will be in MNLC room 151.
Please join us to meet your fellow students and learn more about how to get involved at UMKC this Wednesday on the 3rd floor of the Student Union from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM.
Free entertainment, popcorn and pop will be provided during the event and over 50 student organizations will be in attendance!
Do you like to meet new people?
Do you like to help people?
Do you know your way around UMKC and KC?
If so, then you may be a wonderful candidate to be an International Student Ambassador. The 2019-2020 International Student Ambassador application is now available.
2019-2020 International Student Ambassador Application
The deadline to submit COMPLETED, TYPED application packets is 5 PM Monday, February 25th. NO LATE NOR INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED!